Alcohol-free beers - any recommendations?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WelshPaul

Landlord.
Reaction score
I'm trying to keep the amount of beer I drink to a minimum during the week and a number of alcohol-free beers caught my eye in the supermarket. Are any of them any good as I recall that they used to be foul years ago? I did see an alcohol-free Erdinger that looked quite interesting.

Bavaria do some drinkable ones , i like the cans over the bottles. Morrison have got a 8 can fridge pack for £2.50 at the mo

Make sure you buy ones with brown bottles :whistle:

Wife likes Becks Blue, but then she likes Budshite as well :lol: :lol: ( green bottles Grrrrr.)

alawlor66430 said:
Cobras booze free one is nice, it's a nice drink in its own right, really malty tasting.
Gotta disagree here! I think the cobra is awful! Tastes like unfermented wort without hops. I even took a hydrometer reading and its over 1.030!

Guinness one is worst iv ever tried. tastes like damp brown bread in a bottle :sick:

carl_saint said:
alawlor66430 said:
Cobras booze free one is nice, it's a nice drink in its own right, really malty tasting.
Gotta disagree here! I think the cobra is awful! Tastes like unfermented wort without hops. I even took a hydrometer reading and its over 1.030!
i thought it was quite like unfermented wort to but I kinda like that lol.

iceo said:
Guinness one is worst iv ever tried. tastes like damp brown bread in a bottle :sick:
mmmm yummy lol, sounds rank, but there's no accounting for people's tastes, they must sell enough to warrant making it, the bairns like a wee glass of non alcoholic wine now and again, I let them think it's the real deal of course.

alawlor66430 said:
carl_saint said:
alawlor66430 said:
i thought it was quite like unfermented wort to but I kinda like that lol.
I couldn't drink it. Found it utterly disgusting!

IMHO Becks Blue tastes the most like real lager of any AFB. Bavaria is not bad either. I don't mind Cobra but I can see how it's not everyone's cup of tea. I tried Erdinger once and was unimpressed (can't remember the taste).

There's a Czech dark Lager available alcohol free which is pretty decent. Can't remember the name but I think it's available in Tesco.

I usually have one alcohol free month a year, it's something I just like to do.

The best alcohol free beers I have found are the Erdinger - alcohol frei. Also the Bavaria alcohol free wheat beer isn't too bad. Quite estery and banana tasting. I bought a pack of them last year and was most amused to have to get age verified by the assistant at Morrison's self service checkout! Both need to be pretty cold to be enjoyed at their best though...

A new favourite of mine is the Brewdog Nanny State, 0.5% I think. Can actually drink a couple of them no problem, good hoppy hit.

Would be intrested to find out how other folks find them...

DirtyC

I haven't seen the brewdog one but would be interested to try it. Agree with the Bavaria though

I'm a big fan of Nanny State - I often meet some old workmates at the Bristol BD, but as I'm normally on the motorbike don't like lunchtime drinking, so Nanny State does the job lovely.

It works particularly well with the Grillstock food they serve on a tuesday, but that's another thing altogether :cool:

I've never been a fan of no-alc lagers - they always taste thin and insipid to me, I'd rather just have a pint of lime cordial and soda.

Might try the no-alc erdinger though...

Becks blue tastes more or less like becks, whether you see that as good or bad is a different point :tongue:

Personally i dont see the point

I would rather and often do drink tea than drink non alco natsp

Brew Dog - Nanny State

Finally a bottle of non-alcoholic with lots of hops!

Latest posts

Back