Half batches - just half the recipe amounts?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timw

Reaction score
Silly question, but to do half-batch brews - 11lts ish - is it as simple as taking the recipe for 23lts and halve the amounts??

My fermenting fridge is big enough to hold one 23lt fermenting bin, but with space for an additional two demijohns on the back shelf.

Therefore I was thinking about getting into a bit of a routine so that I had a couple of different brews completing long primary fermentation in the fermentation fridge. One main brew in the 23lt fermenter, then do a half-batch into two demi-johns, to make the most of the space.

I didn't know if just halving the amounts would alter the recipe in some way.... seems a very stupide question to ask :wha:

I thought as much but wasn't sure if there was some element of the science that I was missing.

. I guess the reality is that it's half the amout of beer for the same amount of effort so I may just do a full brew of 23lt and split into demijohn, with two going in the. Ferm fridge and two in the house in an uncontrolled fermentation environment.

Much better idea :)

this time of year the ambient climate is cool so fermenting out of the fridge shouldnt be too detrimental to the brew, and in a few weeks you will be able to tell us with authority about the difference between in and out of fridge beers.. ;)

brewing 1/2 batches is like ordering a half pint in a newcastle town pub on match day ;)

Back