Split AG brew, Half Simcoe, Half Nelson!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clibit

Reaction score
Got a mash in progress, will split the wort and boil in two pots to get 11 litres of Simcoe Pale Ale and 11 litres Nelson Sauvin Pale Ale

Mash: Target SG 1050 ABV 4.9% SRM 7 Mashed in@68*C for 75 mins
3.5kg 75% Maris Otter
700g 15% Vienna
280g 6% Wheat Malt
180g 4% Crystal Rye

Boil 1 63 IBUs
15g Simcoe @60
15g Simcoe @15
15g Simcoe @5
15g Simcoe @ 80C steep
Nottingham dry yeast
15g Simcoe @dry hop

Boil 2 45 IBUs
Green Bullet 10g @60
Nelson 15g @ 10
Nelson 15g @ flameout
Nelson 15g @ 80C steep
Nottingham dry yeast
Nelson 25g @ dry hop

Go on then I'll bite..... didn't have the neck for a full nelson ehh... :D Sure both will be great, hope all goes well.

great having 2 beers out of 1 :thumb: :drink:
i would add more dry hop 35gram + to dry hop at 15C for 7 to 9 days then re rack and bottle for your 11 litre brews
your recipe's look great right up my street
i like a more dry ale, the hops shine through more and i mash at 63C for pale ales
68C will get the malty taste to shine through more [more body etc] good for american ambers etc
:thumb: :hat:

I'm trying to wrestle with the concept. Good submission to the forum though... :whistle:

Well all I'm all done and cleaned up, all gone well. Thanks for the comments fellas! Some good points there noby, I have mainly mashed pales around 65/66, and they have often dropped to 62/63, just trying a higher temp for a change. Tonight I just lost one degree, finished at 67 after 75 mins. I've ended up at 1048, a bit under target.

I've already chucked an extra 15g Nelson in, and I probably will do 30g dry hop in each FV. Defo the Nelson, I have pellets. Simcoe maybe not, 15/20g probably. I want to check out the malts, not used Vienna or Crystal Rye before, and I'm expecting to like them, based on beers I've had. Fingers crossed all goes well in the fermenter. I pitched Nottingham in both. Not very exciting, just what I had.

I also opted to split it 12 litres Simcoe and 10 litres Nelson, I forgot one of my FVs really is limited to 10 litres. So I lied about the Half Nelson. :doh: :tongue:

And it's now down to Third Nelson. :whistle:

Some genius on JBK has suggested blending some of each beer to get the same brew with Simcoe AND Nelson. So I get to test the two hop blend as well as two single hop aroma brews, and three beers for the price and effort of one. I'm in Beer Holy Trinity heaven. There is a god after all.

:drink: :drink: :drink:

Sounds like a top idea. I guess most of the bitterness will come from the Simcoe brew with the Nelson providing just over "half" the aroma. Can't knock 3 for 1. :thumb:

Some genius on JBK has suggested blending some of each beer to get the same brew with Simcoe AND Nelson. So I get to test the two hop blend as well as two single hop aroma brews, and three beers for the price and effort of one.

Does that make it a tag team brew?

I think it does. I might have to call this brew Catweazle, or Giant Haystacks, Or Big Daddy, or Kendo Nagasaki. What you reckon?

Good call. I'll have to make a series of beers that half Nelson and half other hops and use all these names I think, cos I can't decide which I like best. Catweazle is good, but so is Big Daddy. And Giant Haystacks. Hmm....

Bottled these babies last night after a brew session. Was on autoplot and FORGOT to blend some of the two beers. Damn. They both tasted highly promising. I will have to blend in the glass!

And now for the good news. Just 6 days after bottling I cracked tonight, cracked a bottle of the Simcoe and WOW. This is absolutely fantastic. Highly recommended, the rye and the Simcoe work brilliantly together. All grain brewing, the route to eternal peace and hoppiness... :thumb:

:party: :cheers: :drink: :hat:

Will try the Nelson tomorrow, and then, the blend. Hoppy Days!

My mates are closing in already. Might need to fortify the terraced I live in. :whistle:

OK, it's just 4% Crystal Rye. I am not good at describing flavours, but i used it (for the first time) as an alternative to crystal, in the hope of getting a bit of spice with less sweetness. That's what I feel has happened. It tweaks the malt flavour, you need to try it, but I really like it. I had a black beer with crystal rye a while ago, in a bar, and it made a really nice subtle contribution there too. I will add more next time. Didn't want to ruin a good pale ale, but it would stand more, not sure how much though. I've also bought some roasted rye to try in a dark beer, soon. Never used pale rye malt as yet.

Cheers clibit, that is exactly what I'm after. Looking to created a citrusy, spicy APA. The Rye Malt and Belle Saison yeast should impart spiciness while Kaffir Lime Leaves and late addition cascade hops will provide the citrus. Here's hoping :pray: .

Your reaction :party: to the combination with Simcoe has definatley influenced a future brew, will have to try that combo. :hat: :cheers:

Hope the Nelson truns out at least half as good. :grin:

Just wilted and cracked a Nelson open! Oh Yes!!! It's every bit as good as the Simcoe. :cheers: :party:

I like all sorts of beers, but these two are perfect for those times I want a really crisp, fresh, hoppy American IPA. Still green and pretty bitter, but I like that fresh acidic hop hit.

All that's left to do now is try a blend. Maybe tonight....

Back