California Connoisseur - Pinot Grigio 5 gallon Wine Kit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the golden heap

Reaction score
Hi all I am in day ten of this kit California Connoisseur - Pinot Grigio 5 gallon Wine Kit
I racked of as instructed at day eight, I guess there is just over 21 litres of liquid in the fermenter now. When racking off and bubbling it smells very grape like. Ok, it probably should but smells sweet and concentrated, should I add more water? Kit instructions say not to. I know its early days, followed it by the book, should it be ok?

Looking at some of the posts the SG readings would be more helpful

starting Sg day one 1.080

Sg at day seven 0.990

Which I would guess means it has finished and needs to clear and mature?

Nay advise I will humbly take!

thanks

Hi.
got this on the go ATM, just racked at 1010. I've done this before and know what you mean
About the smell, but follow the instructions and let it mature, and it will be some of the best wine you've ever made.
Pete

goodolpete said:
Hi.
got this on the go ATM, just racked at 1010. I've done this before and know what you mean
About the smell, but follow the instructions and let it mature, and it will be some of the best wine you've ever made.
Pete

many thanks Pete, I think it was running a little too warm hence the early completion, I will let it settle and wait.........

No problem.
When I said 'mature', if you can, fill one 5L PET to the brim with some, keep it cool
all year, and bottle and drink next Xmas. You will be amazed at the difference.
Pete

goodolpete said:
No problem.
When I said 'mature', if you can, fill one 5L PET to the brim with some, keep it cool
Pete
I have lots of 5l pets but with corks with holes? Would it be alright with an air lock, would I better with a glass Demi and rubber bung

goodolpete said:
No problem.
Pete
I have lots of 5l pets but with corks with holes? Would it be alright with an air lock, would I better with a glass Demi and rubber bung

goodolpete said:
No problem.
Pete

goodolpete said:
No problem.
Pete

goodolpete said:
No problem.
Pete

I use Ashton water from Tescos to top the FV to 20L (I brew short to get 12%), and when it's racked, stabilised and fined, I fill 4 PETs to the brim and put the cap that came with it on tight, store under the stairs where it's cool till I need it. With all I brew that's at least 6 Months, and with special brews like this Pinot I keep almost a year. If necessary, I brew WOWs and teabag wines to fill in the gaps.
Pete

goodolpete said:
I use Ashton water from Tescos to top the FV to 20L (I brew short to get 12%), and when it's racked, stabilised and fined, I fill 4 PETs to the brim and put the cap that came with it on tight, store under the stairs where it's cool till I need it. With all I brew that's at least 6 Months, and with special brews like this Pinot I keep almost a year. If necessary, I brew WOWs and teabag wines to fill in the gaps.
Pete

Hi Peter I tried to type when I quoted you earlier dont know here text went? I have ordered some plastic screw lids for my pets. Obviously they must be air tight if that's what you do with them. Thanks

This is doing well, racked it stabilised etc, be ready for bottling very soon. Had a quick taster very very nice thanks for all your help on the forum

I didn't bottle this at the weekend as it was a right pain bottling with out a tree! Anyway I plan to bottle a dozen bottles and pet the rest, had a taster hic wow this is a good wine , clear and crisp.

I have had this kit in bottles for the last 32 days, albeit the bottle that i opened last night whilst listening to the mighty Wolves destroy Swindon Town!
Your right, it is a nice wine and i would think about doing this one again.
They do a Californian White kit as well, which is equally as good - I did the 6 bottle kit at the time, but i am not going to bother with any more 6 bottlers and going to concentrate on the 30 bottle jobbies instead.
:drunk:

Latest posts

Back