Adding Elements to brew pot

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick

Reaction score
Hi

I've been reading posts on here for a while but haven't posted anything yet. I was just wondering if anyone has any advice on adding elements to a stainless pot? So far I've been brewing on top of my cooker at home but I think I must be wasting a lot of gas because I can only get the 70L pot onto the cooker in such a way that means I have to lite all the hobs and half the flame from each hob is missing the pot (I've tried to upload a pic, not sure if it's worked though)

Any how, I've come across a coupe of elements that seem like they'd do the trick, they're available on homebrew shop websites but are quite expensive, but I've found what appear to be the same models a good bit cheaper on other non-brewing sites.
http://www.heatingelementcompany.co.uk/default.asp?Product=293
http://www.heatingelementcompany.co.uk/default.asp?Product=287

Does anyone have any experience of using either of these elements? I understand that sometimes you have to remove the "thermal cut out", I've found instructions on how to do this with different elements and it seems quite straight forward but would it be possible with either of these?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Rick

stock pot.jpg

Cheers, decided to go for the 2.4 haden though. Don't like the look of the elements when they've been taken out of a kettle, especially next to a metal pot full of water, wouldn't feel comfortable without some kind of housing around the gubbins.

In case anyone who finds this thread is curious I used the haden elements. Used a 40mm Q cutter to make the holes in the kettle and a KM8 locknut to keep the elements secure. I also got my girlfriends dad to weld some stainless pipe to the locknut. Did my first brew with it the other day and I'm really pleased, much less mess and effort than using the hob. this is the end result

IMG_20150622_131519.jpg

Back