Sizing my 3 Tier System

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davelamps

Reaction score
I have a 3 tier brewing system, i got a decent deal on it last year, up to now i have only done 5 gallon batches in it

there is more room in the mash tun and plenty of room in the boiling pan, so what determines the size of my system, is it determined by the size of my mash tun and its max grain capacity? i could add water to the HLT after i have started the mash

any help appreciated

I would say more than anything it's the size of your fv. No point making a batch bigger than you can ferment?

i could ferment in more than one vessel
In that case it's most likely your mash tun. If you work on 2.5 ltrs per kg of grain that will be
about right. Use a beer calculator, start with what you want to end up with in your fv's, and work backwards from there to find grain bill and total water requirements.

in some ways i would like to get upto 63 L brews, that will help allow me to fill 3 corny kegs after racking losses

Not sure the difference - forgive my ignorance,

i sparge at the end of the mash from the HLT at the given temp, need a better sparge arm

incidently how long does a sparge normally take

Nothing needs forgiving! Basically - batch sparge you pour in the amount of water necessary on top of the grains to get what you require in your fv (there is a batch sparge calculator in the calculators link at the top of the page). Fly sparging involves opening the tap on your mash tun and slowly sprinkling water on top of the grain bed (lots of folk use a rotating sparge arm) until you have the required volume. Either process should take ballpark 20 - 30 minutes.

I fly sparge then

it though sparging was washing the grains and getting the right level of water pre boil

Back