Maple syrup

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good spot - thanks.

The maple and bourbon porter sounds awesome, have you already shared the recipe? ;-)

Bourbon and maple sounds absolutely incredible. That recipe would be great.

Bourbon is my favourite spirit by a mile (Kentucky bourbon, not that Tennessee rubbish), I have several in cabinet and would love to get my favourite into a beer too.

I make a mean dessert with bourbon and maple syrup. Half a banana lengthwise. Add to melted butter in a small frying pan and heat through. Flambé in bourbon and add a splosh of maple syrup. Wait til the syrup bubbles and caramelises a bit and serve with vanilla ice cream. Yum.

I make a mean dessert with bourbon and maple syrup. Half a banana lengthwise. Add to melted butter in a small frying pan and heat through. Flambé in bourbon and add a splosh of maple syrup. Wait til the syrup bubbles and caramelises a bit and serve with vanilla ice cream. Yum.

Now that sounds lush. A nice pint to accompany that dessert. Awesome

Ok guys a bit sober now.
I made this from an online recipe but it was AG homebrew which I hadn't done yet and didn't have all the equipment so I did it my way.
I used 1tin of porter extract
3kg Munich malt grain
1kg chocolate malt
1kg medium DME
20gm Northern brewer hops
180ml maple syrup b grade
Quarter bottle of bourbon soaked in wood chips (pre soak for a week)
Yeast wyeast 1028 London ale
The batch is 23 ltr 40pints
I boiled 16 liters water on stove (I had a stainless steel trivit in bottom of the pot to keep the grains in the muslin bag from scorching the grains
Once water boiled I put my grains in a muslin bag and boiled for 50 mins.
I then added my porter extract and stirred in well.
Then I added DME again stirring in well
Hops added and boiled for 15 mins and then 30 mins later I poured in my maple syrup.
Boiled for a further 15 mins and I poured my liquid into my fermenter typing up to 23ltrs, yes I know it was still a bit hot. I then put in my ice bath till the temperature came down to 20 degrees . I rolled the contents in my fermenter till it was well oxygenated. Pitching my yeast and stirring in well.
After it stopped fermenting I added my bourbon soaked wood chips and left them for about a week. When I began to bottle I had to use a nylon mesh bag to catch any chips from going in bottles.
And as any brewers knows we are ment to leave for a good few weeks till it conditions. But being noisy I opened a bottle after 10 days to see how it was carbonation was doing OMG the smell, taste and the head all the way down to the last sip was amazing.
I made this brew 4 months ago and I've been keeping 6 bottles from each brew I have done to keep for a year hopefully to see if it tastes better. I've had the odd bottle now and again and I must say I'm well chuffed and so are some of my friends who keep wanting more.
Oops sorry ment to mention it's ABV turned out at 6.3
f15d915460190e790bfa5feb5f0ce621.jpg

View attachment uploadfromtaptalk1454148113228.jpg

Back