The crossmyloof brewery yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The real ale I pitched on Saturday is now all quiet...still some lid pressure though. It'll get at least 12 days before I check the gravity. If it's right I'll bottle it.

Just bottled an Olicana IPA fermented with CML real ale & it's my clearest brew yet. 2 weeks in the FV, cold crashed & fined with gelatin. First dry hop to boot! Next up is their Cali Common in a Bock...

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Just bottled my oatmeal stout. OG was 1.044, FG 1.012 which gives me a nicely seasonable 4.2% and 72% attenuation. The yeast was fairly neutral from my taste of the sample jar. It possibly muted the hops slightly as I had over-buttered it but the bitterness was about right for a stout IMO.

Thanks for the replies re the Lille saison.

It seems like this may be one to avoid. I use MJ 29 for my saisons and it is a superb yeast.
I ferment high and it always gets down to 1.004-1.006. My standard recipe has a SG of 1.06ish with a simple malt bill. The yeast really shines and creates a dry, very quaffable beer with good estery notes.
I was hoping the CML saison yeast would be as good as their kolsch yeast but I will be sticking with MJ 29.

So far I've only tried their real ale, US pale and saison yeasts (oh and their mead and cider yeasts, but they're off topic).

The US Pal Ale yeast I'd give 10/10, but I've not really tried any other US style yeasts (eg. US-05). Goes like a beast though, and the beer was gooood... :lol:

Real Ale, reserving judgement. Only used it on 2 different Woodfordes kits, and they both have an odd twang to them. I don't know if the yeast did this though, or the kits... I'll be using it on an AG at some point though (depends how soon on whether my wife wants her Citra/Cascade summer ale malty or hoppy... I'd bet on hoppy though... lol) which will be a fairer test.

Saison, big nope. 65% attenuation so far, unless it's just on a serious go slow. I slapped an air lock in (had been fermenting open to try to avoid a stall) and I'll give it another 7 days then check the SG again. If it has gone down any more, it could be just on a go slow.

Bought a 10 pack though when I got the saison and US pale, so have the kolsch, Belgian and Kristallweizen waiting to be tried too (skipped the Californian). Got a Youngs AIPA kit though hogging one of my good FVs, delaying my brewing...:doh:

I’d like to try Belgian Ale yeast for brewing blonde and wit. Is it a good yeast or maybe to try t58 for these styles as more tested?

I’d like to try Belgian Ale yeast for brewing blonde and wit. Is it a good yeast or maybe to try t58 for these styles as more tested?

I haven't tried it yet I'm afraid. Won't be going in a wit though, I bought the Kristallweizen yeast for that (not tried that yet either). :thumb:

I've barrelled my Bobeck hopped Canadian Blonde that used the CML real ale yeast; it's much clearer than it usually would be at this point, but despite being hopped with a total of 75g of Bobeck (25@ 15, 25@ 5 and 25 dry hopped for 6 days) the hops appear to have done a runner, and it's just smooth bittered malt. Very odd, don't know if that's normal for the yeast? Hoping for some kind of miracle during conditioning - unlikely I know.

I've barrelled my Bobeck hopped Canadian Blonde that used the CML real ale yeast; it's much clearer than it usually would be at this point, but despite being hopped with a total of 75g of Bobeck (25@ 15, 25@ 5 and 25 dry hopped for 6 days) the hops appear to have done a runner, and it's just smooth bittered malt. Very odd, don't know if that's normal for the yeast? Hoping for some kind of miracle during conditioning - unlikely I know.

Pretty much. If you want more hop flavour I'd recommend using the CML US Pale Ale yeast instead, it does a lovely job.:thumb:

Latest posts

Back