wont clear

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jk3528

Reaction score
hi I'm new to this so after some advice I have done a tom caxton kit and its been in the barrel now for 7days sat on the side in the kitchen and 2weeks in a cool place (spare fridge in the garage) but it is still not clear HELP!!!!!!!
tastes ok

Is it your first brew?? Most brews that I do have a certain haze/cloudiness to them. They tend to clear after a while in the bottle. To get a clear lager, I tend to leave it in the bottle for several months before opening and they seem to be clear then.

Yes this is my first beer did some red wine with the grapes from the garden and thought I'd have a go at beer

Is it clear at room temp but a bit cloudy when it comes out of the fridge?

You could well have a chill haze. It doesn't affect flavour or quality and if so, drink away :)

hi I'm new to this so after some advice I have done a tom caxton kit and its been in the barrel now for 7days sat on the side in the kitchen and 2weeks in a cool place (spare fridge in the garage) but it is still not clear HELP!!!!!!!
tastes ok

Clear beer is overrated, embrace the cloudiness 😉😉
Seriously, i used to worry over this,now i couldnt care less,if it tastes good, it tastes good.

Following on from the other comments, unfiltered and hazy beers are getting fashionable nowadays...Beavertown are one of many breweries which have hazy beers.

If you go to a big enough beer festival then they'll often have the odd one labelled "UF" or "Unfined" and it will be cloudy. Commercial brewers and many homebrewers get clear beer quickly by using finings before bottling or barreling. Those of us that don't will also get clear beer but it will take considerably longer. At least a month, sometimes more.

Natural cloudiness does not affect beer quality in the slightest. It's only because during the bad old years when you got a cloudy pint in a pub it was often because of poor hygiene practices and so we came to associate haze with poor quality.

Certainly some beers are OK to be served cloudy, wheat beer for example is one of them. Perhaps that's down to the yeast used which certainly does have its own taste. For example I have found the Youngs AIPA yeast does have a slightly unpleasant bitter taste to it so is best served clear.
Normally time will allow the beer to clear.
My advice to jk3528 is to take the bottles out of the fridge and put them in the coolest place possible that is not refrigerated and simply leave them alone. I have had beer that can take three weeks or longer to clear properly and two weeks plus a bit may simply not be long enough. I am sure they will clear in the end.

Certainly some beers are OK to be served cloudy, wheat beer for example is one of them. Perhaps that's down to the yeast used which certainly does have its own taste. For example I have found the Youngs AIPA yeast does have a slightly unpleasant bitter taste to it so is best served clear.
Normally time will allow the beer to clear.
My advice to jk3528 is to take the bottles out of the fridge and put them in the coolest place possible that is not refrigerated and simply leave them alone. I have had beer that can take three weeks or longer to clear properly and two weeks plus a bit may simply not be long enough. I am sure they will clear in the end.

Yeast suspended in the beer can / will affect the taste .. But after a week or two its normally dropped out enough ? Like you say some yeasts add flavour so no biggie.

Longer hazes are proteins which come from the boil and cooling phase and shouldn't affect flavour..

Yeast suspended in the beer can / will affect the taste .. But after a week or two its normally dropped out enough ? Like you say some yeasts add flavour so no biggie.

Longer hazes are proteins which come from the boil and cooling phase and shouldn't affect flavour..
+1 on that.
The OP referred to a Tom Caxton kit, so provided nothing unusual has been added to give a protein haze it should be just the yeast to clear in time.

I had two brews that I started in June and should of, in theory been ready by the end of July. It took until the end of Sept for them to clear. Keep the faith it will go eventually. Usually you have to give it a good 6 weeks depending on temperatures. The longer it stands, the more the yeast continues to work, the better the end product.

First brews always take the longest to clear.....:-?

Latest posts

Back