Black IPA Dry hops help please

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hi all,
Im going to do my first Black IPA next week, and dry hops day 4...how long to leave it before racking?
any help be brilliant...coz my memory is shot today for some reason:doh:
thx
Bri

I usually dry hop for 3 days in secondary FV, once majority of yeast has done its job. I've read that dry hopping too early can result in some of the flavours being carried off. Also too long a dry hop can leave grassy flavours in your beer.

I usually dry hop for 3 days in secondary FV, once majority of yeast has done its job. I've read that dry hopping too early can result in some of the flavours being carried off. Also too long a dry hop can leave grassy flavours in your beer.

Aye Marty I'm the same..
thrown off reading the Black IPA in Greg Hughes saying
citra 13.8% 45g dry hop after 4 days.....
if so... for how long lol..
mind it is brian your dealing with here....:doh:
thx pal
Bri

I would dry hop 3-4 days. But as your going to dry hop on day 4, that might not be long enough fermenting time.

Personally I'd start dry hopping on day 10/11. Fermentation should be done by then. And then dry hop for 3-4 days and bottle.

But there's more than one way to skin a cat. You should maybe stick to Greg Hugh's timings, and see how it goes. You can always adjust for the next time.

I would dry hop 3-4 days. But as your going to dry hop on day 4, that might not be long enough fermenting time.

Personally I'd start dry hopping on day 10/11. Fermentation should be done by then. And then dry hop for 3-4 days and bottle.

But there's more than one way to skin a cat. You should maybe stick to Greg Hugh's timings, and see how it goes. You can always adjust for the next time.

Aye,
If it goes tit up I'll blame Greg Hughes...lol
Bri

Don't add hops when the airlock is still bubbling or a lot of the hop volatile oils be lost so....
Leave it for 8/9 days, or until airlock more or less stops bubbling whichever is longer
Rack off.
Leave it two more days.
Add hops.
Four days at fermenting temperature.
2/3 days in the coolest place you have.
Package

Instead of counting the days after you pitch for dry hop ount backwards from teh day you bottle/keg.

Yeah I reckon you can get away with leaving it longer to dry hop if you want especially on a BIPA..

It certainly is a good style.

Thx so much,
Leon it got me confused tbh!
Now counting Back the ferm period, and the airlock isn't too much activity...dry hop the rest of the ferm time.
Rack of, cool place for a few days and bottle.!
This is a ideal Bri's experiment I like...but I never know if I experiment and carry on with the fundermentals..getting it best I can..:whistle:
There's great experience helping, so I don't want to that advice down! :thumb:
Looking fwd to this one..
Thx all so far I'm loving my challenges, specially on my tiny head. Lol
The black IPA I done (citra & chinook) is conditioning nicely..
But this black IPA will be by the 'book' even got a name for it..keeps me motivated.
TBC
Bri

I have dry hopped mine up to 2 weeks and not noticed any grassy flavours. I reckon a BIPA benefits from a hop tea as well. Yet to try at bottling but sounds like the best idea.

I've done an extended dry hop twice and noticed the same flavour in the finished beer both times and it wasn't a desired flavour. Mind you, both times the temp was about 22c which probably didn't help.

I've done an extended dry hop twice and noticed the same flavour in the finished beer both times and it wasn't a desired flavour. Mind you, both times the temp was about 22c which probably didn't help.

I have heard that before. I DH as close to 14c as i can since i read the brewdog recipes pdf.

guys
I tried 18c for the fermentation.
then dry hops at 14c for 4 days.
cant say that the temp for dry hop change it..but seems the sweet spot for now one.
18c ferm temp seems ok...then when the fem is near to stop, 20c to finish.
think its finding the sweet spot...and stick with it...after all your experiment on temps.
bri

December 10th 2023.
morning lads n lasses.
just lul in battle! befor crack on potting on.
As i’m double brew day soon, Black IPA & London Porter.
The one thing i’ve wanted to get (online shopping again!) is one o the Rapt 💊 pill thingys!
‘NICE TO HAVE’
ok old school gets the job done! but least reading a SG reading of mobile etc instead of syphon it out to test!
for instance reach 1.014 DH in app.
but tbh as i’ve got two brews both DH! don’t need one o them pills 💊
just nice to have….
what this space mind xmas coming soon!
Bri

Back