Wyeast for Timothy Taylor Landord

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kronos

Reaction score
I am going to make the all grain Timothy Taylor Landord recipe from ‘Camera’s Brew Your Own British Real Ale’ book but they do not state a yeast to use.

Can any of you recommend a Wyeast for this brew.

Wyeast 1469 west yorkshire ale. Some people say this is the TT strain and others say not. But this is the strain you want. I think @spapro makes this beer all the time with this strain and highly recommends the reciepe and yeast strain

Thank you for that, have just order one along with the ingredients.

Would you recommend making a starter for this yeast as I normally just pop the bag and let it swell/activate for 5 hours then pitch it straight in as it is.

Yes, I would recommend making a starter as you don't know how it's been treated on it's way over from the states.

I have also used this yeast and found it to be be fantastic, however I found that above 18C or so it gives off strong appley esters, so keep the fermentation temp lowish

I have never made a starter before, what the best was to do this and what equipment do I need.

http://homebrewacademy.com/how-to-make-a-yeast-starter/

That tells you how. If you havent got any DME you can use some (liquid) malt extract from a health food shop like holland and barret (thats what I use). For a 2L starter you need 260g. In the link he says use a erlymeyer flask but I use a demijon. If you havent got one just use a 5L water bottle

As an aside. If you like your landlord brew and you want to make it again, try usng golden promise base malt, as thats what TT use for landlord

http://homebrewacademy.com/how-to-make-a-yeast-starter/

That tells you how. If you havent got any DME you can use some (liquid) malt extract from a health food shop like holland and barret (thats what I use). For a 2L starter you need 260g. In the link he says use a erlymeyer flask but I use a demijon. If you havent got one just use a 5L water bottle

As an aside. If you like your landlord brew and you want to make it again, try usng golden promise base malt, as thats what TT use for landlord
I had not yet hit the checkout button so have changed the 5kg of Maris Otter pale malt to the Golden Promise pale malt. I have also ordered a 2L conical flask and some DME.

Thank you for that.:thumb:

I had not yet hit the checkout button so have changed the 5kg of Maris Otter pale malt to the Golden Promise pale malt. I have also ordered a 2L conical flask and some DME.

Thank you for that.:thumb:

Cool. The conical flask is useful but not absolutely necessary if you dont want to buy it. Also a 2L flask will be way to small for a 2L starter (if that's the size you intend to make). WY1469 is a true top copping yeast and has a large krausen which will probalby overspill a 2L flask

Cool. The conical flask is useful but not absolutely necessary if you dont want to buy it. Also a 2L flask will be way to small for a 2L starter (if that's the size you intend to make). WY1469 is a true top copping yeast and has a large krausen which will probalby overspill a 2L flask

A 2l flask has more than 2l capacity, I regularly make 2l starters and have never had one spill over.

If you feel adventurous now you have a conical flask you could try building a stir plate at some point in the future.

It's not that much work. I'm incredibly clumsy and rubbish at electronics and I managed to get it to work. All you need is a magnetic stir bar and can then get efficient starters on no problem.

Bear in mind some yeast could explode out the conical and others won't. It really depends on how it behaves. If you get advice about any strain you plan to use you'll have an idea whether you can get away with filling the conical to its intended capacity.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

2l is fine for the size of starter you'll need. For landlord and assuming the yeast isn't right on the expiry date then the calculators will probably recommend a 1l starter. Plan ahead; overbuild to 1.5l and decant off 0.5l of your starter into a sterile jar to keep in the fridge for your next brew and you've halved the cost of using liquid yeast.

Wyeast 1469 is a great yeast, readily flocculating to produce a clear beer easily.

If you feel adventurous now you have a conical flask you could try building a stir plate at some point in the future.

It's not that much work. I'm incredibly clumsy and rubbish at electronics and I managed to get it to work. All you need is a magnetic stir bar and can then get efficient starters on no problem.

Bear in mind some yeast could explode out the conical and others won't. It really depends on how it behaves. If you get advice about any strain you plan to use you'll have an idea whether you can get away with filling the conical to its intended capacity.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk
I ordered the parts and have built myself a stir plate.

How long do you leave the conical on the stir plate for.

48 hours at room temperature is plenty of time especially with the extra kick that the Wyeast nutrient pack gives it. I have a starter of 1469 on right now. The morning after (12 hours) putting it on the plate it had a 1.5" krausen. By 24 hours the krausen had gone and larger particles are clearly visible swirling around - that's the yeast flocculating. I could have probably taken it off there and then but it'll stay for the full 48 hours before I take it off, decant away 0.5l into a sealed jar for next time and then chill the remaining 1l for 48 hours ready for pitching.

48 hours at room temperature is plenty of time especially with the extra kick that the Wyeast nutrient pack gives it. I have a starter of 1469 on right now. The morning after (12 hours) putting it on the plate it had a 1.5" krausen. By 24 hours the krausen had gone and larger particles are clearly visible swirling around - that's the yeast flocculating. I could have probably taken it off there and then but it'll stay for the full 48 hours before I take it off, decant away 0.5l into a sealed jar for next time and then chill the remaining 1l for 48 hours ready for pitching.

How high do you set your stir plate? I only ask because I've never had a krausen form on a starter, because the stirring mixes everything together. I was under the impression from Chris White's Yeast book that the stirring should be fairly vigorous to help remove CO2 and draw in O2 from the air.

How high do you set your stir plate? I only ask because I've never had a krausen form on a starter, because the stirring mixes everything together. I was under the impression from Chris White's Yeast book that the stirring should be fairly vigorous to help remove CO2 and draw in O2 from the air.
Hard to say because the knob is not graduated (I have this one). It's just fast enough to swirl quickly and create a little foam without creating an actual dimpled vortex.

WY1469 has created the largest krausen yet for me on a stir plate. WLP028 (scottish) didn't create one at all and WLP023 (burton) did but it was small - about 10mm when I checked in on it.

I've just removed it from the stir plate and here's a close up. You can see the krausen high tide mark is up at the 2 litre level and the darker band in the solution shows it's already trying to settle out even though it's only been off the plate for a couple of minutes.

1469.jpg

I made a my first ever starter using my Wyeast 1469 West Yorkshire Ale which looks to have gone ok because I have had my first ever extreme fermentation, the yeast cake is slowly coming through the airlock.

What do you do when this happens, just leave it to calm down?

Next time you could fit a blow-off tube instead of an airlock, or ferment in something larger. If it's not flooding everwhere I'd leave it for now in case you do more harm than good. Come to think of it, what are you fermenting in? I use 1469 with a good starter and only have normal fermentations. I ferment in a 32l bin and keep it at a controlled 18C for the first few days. Maybe that's what keeps it under control.

I made a my first ever starter using my Wyeast 1469 West Yorkshire Ale which looks to have gone ok because I have had my first ever extreme fermentation, the yeast cake is slowly coming through the airlock.

If its coming through the airlock you usually have two choices
- fit a blow off tube which allows the excess yeast and CO2 to vent in a contained and controlled way; this covers the general idea http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=66900
- put your FV into a container (like a garden trug) crack the FV lid in one place and cover that with a towel all of which which vents the FV and contains the mess; when things die down reseal the lid and carry on as before
I have done both. My preference is the second one because I have known the blow off tube to get blocked with sticky yeast.

Latest posts

Back