Coopers Pale Ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luvgonzo

Reaction score
Hi!

I just ordered this kit along with the brew enhancer. I've tried this beer before and really liked it so it stood out as one for me to try and make.

My very first batch went very well so I'm looking forward to giving this a go. Any help or advice appreciated.

Brew it short, 21L or 20L rather than the recommended 23L - will give it a bit more flavour.

I've not tasted the commercial version but homebrew kits often come out different to beers you buy on the supermarket shelf. The Pale Ale kit is fairly bland but is well suited to dry hopping if you like hoppy beers: Cascade, Citra, Mosaic etc all go well in this one, you can get pellets cheap and quick from Crossmyloof Brewery on Facebook.

Brew it short, 21L or 20L rather than the recommended 23L - will give it a bit more flavour.

I've not tasted the commercial version but homebrew kits often come out different to beers you buy on the supermarket shelf. The Pale Ale kit is fairly bland but is well suited to dry hopping if you like hoppy beers: Cascade, Citra, Mosaic etc all go well in this one, you can get pellets cheap and quick from Crossmyloof Brewery on Facebook.

Not up to speed on the lingo but (dry hopping) I think I did this with my first batch, is this where you make a sort of tea with hops and add that to the whole thing?

Deffo going to do the brew it short tip, nice one.

Not up to speed on the lingo but (dry hopping) I think I did this with my first batch, is this where you make a sort of tea with hops and add that to the whole thing?
Try this
A Newbies Guide to Dry Hopping Your Beer - The HomeBrew Forum
If you decide to do a dry hop but don't have a local home brew shop near to buy your hops, you can get them from Crossmyloofbrewery here (used by many HBF members)
https://www.facebook.com/TheCrossmyloof/
I suggest using 50g Cascade hops which should compliment your beer very well..

My first coopers pale ale kit recipe:
1.7kg pale ale kit
500g hoppy light malt
500g light malt
Dry hop with 35g falconer's flight hops, came out good,

I have a Cooper's bootmakers pale ale to do next, my recipe will be
1.7kg bootmakers pale ale
500g hoppy light malt
900g light malt
Dry hop with 75g falconer's flight hops
M36 liberty bell yeast

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

The Pale Ale kit is great with 1-1.2kg light dry malt extract and 15-20g East Kent Goldings boiled for 10 minutes. If using the Beer Enhancer try about 10-15g. Other hops can be great with it as a flavour addition as well - Nelson Sauvin and Ella come to mind. Again small late additions, as the bitterness is spot on.

To taste like the Cooper's Pale in a stubbie, 500g LDME and 500g sugar get close - I'm not sure what the finishing hop is but 20g Czech Saaz at 5 minutes comes close.

Another edit: The original Cooper's Pale Ale in the bottle definitely contains no dry hopping. It has more hop flavour and aroma than most Australian Commercial beers and is bottle conditioned, but is more an old fashioned British or Australian Pale, not an APA or IPA. Think an ESB but low on esters.

I was a bit confused and maybe you lot can clear this up, I bought the Coopers Pale Ale and the suggested Brew Enhancer 2.

I don't need brewing sugar? That's what the Brew Enhancer is right?

Brew Enhancer is a mixture of DME (alias spray malt), Dextrose (alias brewing sugar), and Maltodextrin. If it's Coopers they come in three types, with different numbers and different compositions.
DME and dextrose ferment out completely, but maltodextrose doesn't and is there to provide 'mouthfeel'.
Other brands of beer enhancer may be just 50-50 dextrose-DME.
And if I were you I wouldn't add any more to this kit just brew short like others have suggested

My first coopers pale ale kit recipe:
1.7kg pale ale kit
500g hoppy light malt
500g light malt
Dry hop with 35g falconer's flight hops, came out good,

I have a Cooper's bootmakers pale ale to do next, my recipe will be
1.7kg bootmakers pale ale
500g hoppy light malt
900g light malt
Dry hop with 75g falconer's flight hops
M36 liberty bell yeast

id like to try using falconer's flight it sounds so nice a quite cheap. whats your thougts on it?

id like to try using falconer's flight it sounds so nice a quite cheap. whats your thougts on it?
I always use it, I should try other ones, but it's lovely in light beers, tropical bomb, 10/10 plus it's made up of several hops, no need to pay more for two or three different hops, it suits a pale ale, I love it

Ok so all went well (sort of) I bottled on the weekend and I ran out of carbonation drops, no big deal as there wasn't much left so I did a quick Google and it said just use sugar and gave me a rough amount. So I just added 1 1/2 teaspoons to the remaining 330ml bottles.

What can I expect?

Ok so all went well (sort of) I bottled on the weekend and I ran out of carbonation drops, no big deal as there wasn't much left so I did a quick Google and it said just use sugar and gave me a rough amount. So I just added 1 1/2 teaspoons to the remaining 330ml bottles.

What can I expect?
I normally do 1/2 teaspoon in 330ml, 1 teaspoon in 500ml, I find they are carbonated enough for me, yours might be gushers with that amount in a 330ml, maybe not

I normally do 1/2 teaspoon in 330ml, 1 teaspoon in 500ml, I find they are carbonated enough for me, yours might be gushers with that amount in a 330ml, maybe not

Ah right, it was quick search and only for about 4 bottles so no big deal.

It was a very clear brew hardly any sediment in the bottom of the bucket compared to my first batch. (which was a different beer)

Ah right, it was quick search and only for about 4 bottles so no big deal.

It was a very clear brew hardly any sediment in the bottom of the bucket compared to my first batch. (which was a different beer)
That's ok, put those four in a box or something just incase they explode, they most probably be ok, I'm just over cautious lol

Just open the four over carbed ones over a sink and fire straight into a jug, they will likely gush out when openned and create a whole load of foam. By opening into a jug you can let it settle and then pour into a glass to drink.

As advised,box em. I always store mine boxed or in spare sealed FV's or whatever,just in case.Never had any as yet but have had a few gushers.

Like the spare FV idea.:thumb::thumb:

Back