Cascade SMaSH with M36 Liberty Bell

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gerryjo

Still brewing though never get much time....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry for taking so long to get around to this @MyQul
So I've actually pitched my yeast for my SMaSH experiment using Geterbrewed Pale Ale malt �£17 for 25kg.
Now I brewed the wort about 2 weeks ago and couldn't pitch due to the hot weather so have 19 litres in the fermenting chamber with yeast rehydrated and pitched at 17 degrees and fermenting chamber (Posh fridge) set to 20 degrees using inkbird 308.
Rehydrated the yeast in a 275ml flask with about 100ml of tepid water and what a pop that gave when I opened to pitch.
As you said this is a flocculant yeast and if this is any way of an indication this will go off like a rocket.
So back up at 5.45am for work so shall check then.
This shall be 1 of 10 on pale ale malt.

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

So OG was 1.051 and FG was 1.011.Taste test was divine but still to get another 40g of either dry hop or a hop tea.Harvested the yeast to try on second batch to be brewed aat the weekend or Monday depending.Have also harvested S04, Gervin 12 and CML BELGIAN so missus is going to go berserk tonight when she sees the fridge.
The two flasks on the left are M36 Liberty Bell, beside these is S04,two bottom containers are the Belgian,Pale and Nottingham yeasts together and top is Gervin 12.
Should be a few brews to come from these I hope.[emoji481] [emoji106]
d1213365a8dfeb3eb0df743f81ec47f4.jpg
a2b94bee34ad4261b6d96a19527c2e64.jpg
9560994d3f68509fc2b89c9da1e313e3.jpg

Gerry

Do you get much flavour profile from the liberty bell? Would you say it pushes malt or hops or is it fairly balanced? I've got some in the fridge and trying to figure out what to use it for.

Do you get much flavour profile from the liberty bell? Would you say it pushes malt or hops or is it fairly balanced? I've got some in the fridge and trying to figure out what to use it for.
To be honest it's my first time using it and it's seems fairly balanced as the hops and malt are both coming through and not overpowering one another though it's still got another 40g of cascade to go in secondary on Monday.
Main reason for using it was for yeast harvesting as it was a thread @MyQul and myself had talked about a few months back but It was M44 he had suggested I'm nearly sure but I couldn't get it from the supplier at the time as we were looking for a high flocculant yeast.
Still got enough for two brews from it so shall see how it goes from here on in as I'm going to be making a few Cascade SMaSH brews from it.[emoji106]

Gerry

Latest posts

Back