when can I taste my stout?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpbeer

Reaction score
Hi guys, I've just brewed a coopers original stout its my first ever homebrew. The og was 1038 and after 5 days it was down to 1006. After 7 days it was still 1006 and i decided to bottle it. I now know from other posts I should have left it longer in primary fermenter. I plan to leave it in the bottle for 2 weeks at room temp then move to shed. By the way it fermented at room temp as well about 22c. From what I read it takes about 2 months for the stout to fully mature, but I would like to know when is the earliest I could try it just so I know its OK.

Cheers

I suppose after carbonation for 2 weeks, you could put one in the fridge and try it. better after a little while in the shed as you say, but it is not that bad out the FV.

Hi guys, I've just brewed a coopers original stout its my first ever homebrew. The og was 1038 and after 5 days it was down to 1006. After 7 days it was still 1006 and i decided to bottle it. I now know from other posts I should have left it longer in primary fermenter. I plan to leave it in the bottle for 2 weeks at room temp then move to shed. By the way it fermented at room temp as well about 22c. From what I read it takes about 2 months for the stout to fully mature, but I would like to know when is the earliest I could try it just so I know its OK.

Cheers

Hi jpbeer,
I've done a few of these & they're really nice stouts. you can drink these kit young, i would try one after a couple of weeks it'll taste quite licoroucey, but as it ages it mellows out. i just had the last of mine last week it was 10 months old, but imho it dosen't get any better from being 3 months old.
I just put one on last night with 1k bke brewed short to 20l, i'm going to keg this batch coz i've just bought some nitrogen sparklets so it will hopefully be like a creamflow. i've heard they're nitrous oxide so i'll have the giggles if i drink too many:hat:

Thanks guys for the replies.
Prob will crack one open after they carb up, getting excited:-D
Those nitrogen sparklets sound interesting les wouldn't mind trying them for my next brew. Nice creamy stout hard to beat:-D

Haha my kegged stout had 1/2 pint tasters from about 2 weeks in... And it's getting better and better as time goes by. Was planned to be a Christmas brew but don't think it will last :)

Now I'm wondering should I fridge it and try it cold as currently the PB sits in the garage and I can pour it gently and head a good 1/3 pint if head.....

I`m going to go against what people say, as I prefere kit stouts young I think that they can mellow too much with time.

Hi guys
Its been 2 months since I started my brew but there is still a bad apple taste off it. Does this mellow the longer i leave it or have I messed up somewhere. The carbonation isn't bad it just not very drinkable lol. Any help/tips appreciated guys.

Cheers jp

I have had a number of brews made over the summer that did not attentuate properly initially. After bottling they have a huge carbonation and a nasty acidic aftertaste. All fermented at a higher temperature than the "ideal" 20C or so. None, incidentally, were fermented using the Coopers supplied yeast, all using Muntons/Wilko/Wherry yeast (which is the same?).

I put this down to continued fermentation in bottles, causing excess CO2, which dissolves in water to form Carbonic Acid, causing the nasty acidic aftertaste. (Same problem with the Oceans, if you look on the BBC website. Difference being that even my home brewing ambitions fall short of that scale :D).

I have spent many a happy moment since venting excess CO2 from the bottles - mainly 2L PET bottles - by undoing the lids to vent the pressure out. This is pretty tedious, as it has to be done quite frequently, even with squeezing the bottles so as to leave room for the CO2 to occupy in between vents.

The good news is that it seems to work, in that the strange tastes - nasty acidic aftertaste and even cidery foretaste seem to clear with repeated venting.

If you crown cap your bottles, I saw a solution which involved removing the caps partially, standing the bottles in water and re capping later. Don't remember the details, but they are on here somewhere.

Hope these observations and ideas are helpful. :pray:

Hi slid,
Thanks for the info, willing to try anything now to save the batch:pray:.
Couple questions if you don't mind.
Is this caused by bottling too early and will the beer not lose all its carbonation if I start venting them? Is there any chance it will mellow out if I just leave them till Christmas?
Again thanks for the help.
Cheers jp

Hi JP

You will soon know when your beer is no longer over carbonated.
As soon as it stops trying to crawl through the top when the cap is loosened.

I would make sure it is not over carbonated, then just leave it, as you say.

Latest posts

Back