Solution to the 'Stuck Wherry Problem'

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyQul

Chairman of the Bored
Reaction score
I've never actually made a Wherry but I regularly see 'my wherry is stuck, help!' post.

Two things I think might be causing the 'stick'

1. Not enough yeast. Most kits give you 5g-7g yeast, as I understand it Wherry has a OG of 1.042. Using MrMalty yeast calulator you need 10g. If you dry pitch, lots of yeast cells die so it make things worse and if the yeast they put in the Wherry isn't a very attenuating one you've got a triple hit leading to the sticking problem. Solution -rehydrate the yeast. I've started to do this recently and have got much better results than dry pitching.

2. Aerate the wort. I've never understood why kits don't have this in the instructions. It's an important part of the brewing process. Yeast need oxygen to thrive and multiply.Fortunately I came across the importance of aeration early on in my brewing career. I use a mechanical whisk and whisk till my arm feels like it's going to fall off. I've been brewing for about 18 months now and have moved on to AG (BIAB), in that time I have never had a stuck brew. I atribute this to correct aeration

On this forum Chippy_Tea has posted a video of how to
turn a plastic coathanger into an aerator for a drill. Just
used mine on five gall blackberry with great results.

I've never actually made a Wherry but I regularly see 'my wherry is stuck, help!' post.

Two things I think might be causing the 'stick'

1. Not enough yeast. Most kits give you 5g-7g yeast, as I understand it Wherry has a OG of 1.042. Using MrMalty yeast calulator you need 10g. If you dry pitch, lots of yeast cells die so it make things worse and if the yeast they put in the Wherry isn't a very attenuating one you've got a triple hit leading to the sticking problem. Solution -rehydrate the yeast. I've started to do this recently and have got much better results than dry pitching.

2. Aerate the wort. I've never understood why kits don't have this in the instructions. It's an important part of the brewing process. Yeast need oxygen to thrive and multiply.Fortunately I came across the importance of aeration early on in my brewing career. I use a mechanical whisk and whisk till my arm feels like it's going to fall off. I've been brewing for about 18 months now and have moved on to AG (BIAB), in that time I have never had a stuck brew. I atribute this to correct aeration

1. Does any one have a view on the temp of the water the yeast should be hydrated in and whether it is best to equalise the temps if the yeast sachet has been stored in the fridge?

2. I pour the water into the FV containing the kit contents and other stuff, using a 2L jug, filled from a tap and poured from a fair height. That does the trick on aeration without too much effort. This only works on kits - if you have boiled the wort and poured into an FV, then I guess it's a whisk job.

1. Does any one have a view on the temp of the water the yeast should be hydrated in and whether it is best to equalise the temps if the yeast sachet has been stored in the fridge?

2. I pour the water into the FV containing the kit contents and other stuff, using a 2L jug, filled from a tap and poured from a fair height. That does the trick on aeration without too much effort. This only works on kits - if you have boiled the wort and poured into an FV, then I guess it's a whisk job.

1. I follow these instructions to rehydrate my yeast:

http://www.homebrewers.com/category/aatdvarks.videos.001_beginner.rehydrating_dry_yeast/

note: a) to drop the temp of the boiled/sanitized water o 105F I carefully put the sanitized bowl in some cold water and stir with a sanitized spoon.

Doesn't really matter about equalizing the yeast temp if stored in the fridge as It gets warmed up in the 105F water

b) " You now need to carefully adjust your yeast to close to the same temperature as the wort or starter that you'll be pitching into. The best way to do this is to add cooled wort to the yeast 1 tablespoon at a time." - This doesn't work. I just put the bowl with the yeast and water in the freezer for ten minutes which works a treat.
Other than those two points the method linked works really well.

2. Right on this. Pouring from a height works as well as whisking.

Latest posts

Back