Lager/Pils kit recommendations for my better half ...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bubsaxon

Brew student
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm still fairly new to brewing but have had 2 successful brews so far (Coopers Stout and IPA .. all gone !) and have a Wherry and Razorback 5 weeks in to conditioning in my kegs ... very excited about these !

I'd welcome some recommendations of a brew for my wife - she likes Peroni, San Miguel and dry ciders ... not a huge drinker so a smaller kit would be a nice idea. I intend on bottling some for her.

Any info / recommendations would be welcome - still undecided to do a lager or cider for her.

Can't go wrong with a Coopers original lager, for a relative Newbie, - white tin, green lid. Don't worry about doing a full 5g batch, it will go all right. :lol:

Forget ciders for now. :nono:

Thanks for the recommendation Slid. I'll give one a go .. but probably after doing a Woodforde's Nelson's Revenge for me :rofl:
Agree with you on the cider- I'll just think about that one for a while and read up on it.

I can reccommend the wilko delicate pilsner. I picked one up a few months back for £7.50. Came out really good. Was very impressed.

Thanks Chris - I just ordered some more bottles and the Pilsner kit from Wilco.
Any recommendations on how to brew it - I assume it is 1KG sugar so perhaps better to put 500g light spraymalt and 500g brewing sugar ?
I'm going to bottle this brew and save my next empty king Keg for 'Nelson's Revenge' :cheers:
Cheers

I can reccommend the wilko delicate pilsner. I picked one up a few months back for £7.50. Came out really good. Was very impressed.

I'll second that, I was surprised how good this came out. Brewed mine with just 1kg brewing sugar, taste not too strong but you know when you've had 4 pints:) One to add to my xmas list.

The wilko Mexican cerveza is also highly recommended imo, got one in my fv ready to bottle this weekend for crimbo..

Any recommendations on how to brew it - I assume it is 1KG sugar so perhaps better to put 500g light spraymalt and 500g brewing sugar ?
I'm going to bottle this brew and save my next empty king Keg for 'Nelson's Revenge' :cheers:
Cheers

I suggest for the Wilko Pilsner 500g spraymalt and 1kg table sugar.

I've done a few coopers and wilko lagers

I've varied brewing sugar, beer enhancer 1 or 2, honey, glucose, Apple juice, granulated sugar.

All brewed to full fermentation with no issues, only tried 2 so far rest are "curing"

Scaff

I noticed on a couple of reviews of the Wilco kit that some said the yeast was more of an ale yeast ? Would anyone recommend throwing away the yeast sachet that comes with the Pilsner kit and buying another ? If so what yeast would you recommend ?

Cheers

I just used 1kg of brewing sugar. Also used the pack yeast that was supplied.
Ive now done about 6 lager kits and altough this is the cheapest it was the best. Or atleast on par with the coopers euro lager!
Unfortunatly i couldnt say the same about the "wilko golden lager" wasnt impressed by that one. But who knows others might love it!?

All these lager kits will benefit from a bit of hopping if you want to go the extra mile: dry hop with 20g of Hallertau or Saaz. Or make a hop tea and add to the kit prior to piching the yeast. I did both with my Coopers Australian and it came out wonderful (and I'm really fussy e.g. I rarely do ale kits these days as I prefer the added flavour you get from Extract brewing).

All these lager kits will benefit from a bit of hopping if you want to go the extra mile: dry hop with 20g of Hallertau or Saaz. Or make a hop tea and add to the kit prior to piching the yeast. I did both with my Coopers Australian and it came out wonderful (and I'm really fussy e.g. I rarely do ale kits these days as I prefer the added flavour you get from Extract brewing).

Hi,
So I've taken the plunge and bought some hop pellets and yeast - I was planning the following -

- 500g Light Spraymalt
- 750g Brewing Sugar
- 20g Saaz hop pellets - dry hop
- 20g Citra hop pellets - dry hop
- Saflager W-34/70 yeast (in place of the wilco yeast)

How does the above sound ? Should I put the hop pellets in from day one or half way through the fermentation so they are in for a few days before siphoning off to my secondary ?

Sounds good - still not sure about the Citra in a lager, but each to his own, give it a go. Dry hop after the initial fermentation dies down, so 4 or 5 days in.

You realise the Saflager W-34/70 is a true lager yeast (a good thing), so ideally needs a lower fermentation temp than ale yeasts, ideally 12-15C. Parts of our house don't get that cold until mid-winter, so I'm waiting to do my next lager, although you may have a brew-fridge?

Hi Darrel
I'm going to save the Citra for my next ale and use 40g Saaz 5 days in to fermentation as you mention,
I plan on brewing in the garage which is nice and cool I hope ... but I may 'invest' in a fridge freezer for the garage as my good lady wants more freezer space :-)
Thanks for the helpful advice, much apprecaited

Back