Concerns of a first time brewer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jono_Leeds

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm currently in the process of brewing my first kits, a Young's APA and a Gone With The Wheat Bitter. I started them off on Sunday evening and in both fermentation appears to have started as there is activity in both airlocks. This said I have concerns about the Gone With The Wheat Bitter and was hoping someone might be able to put them to rest.

Looking through the side of the FV the APA has 1.5cm of foamy head whereas the Bitter seems to have little to none. Also whilst initially oxygenating the wort the APA again developed a nice foamy head whereas the Bitter showed only a few bubbles.

I know it's still early days and my concerns are probably premature, but does this sound like anything to worry about?

Cheers Jono

It's normal, no two bears I've brewed have been the same. As long as there's "action" in the fermentation vessel it'll work

Take a hydrometer reading over a few days to see if it's working.

Scaff

Thanks for the good news! The air lock is bubbling.. a little less than the APA but definitely bubbling! As its only been in for 3 days I've refrained from opening the lid to take a look to try and avoid any contamination. I did originally plan to follow the instructions, although I'm now thinking of leaving them both to ferment for 14 days, taking a hydrometer reading on day 12, 13 and 14 before bottling. What do you reckon wait it out or as you say take a few readings?

Cheers Jono

Different beers just go at different rates. It's down to different ingredients, malts, yeasts etc. I've had vigorous fermentation after a few hours and nothing happen for 3 days!

They'll both be done, when they're done!

Latest posts

Back