1 Barrel 'Pilot' Brewery required

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haynesy

Reaction score
Hi all,
I was wondering if any of you kind people could point me in the direction of acquiring a 1 barrel pilot brewery? I'm looking to set up in my garage but am finding it hard locating anywhere online for equipment. I'd also consider building one myself... but even acquiring mash tun/boiler etc etc seems tricky.

Any advice anyone could give me would be great... links, costs etc.
Would be looking at spending anything up to £1,500... does that sound feasible?

Cheers
Simon

Add a 2 the 1 of your £1500 and you will get one,

Most 1 barrel plants start at about £3.5K, David Porter etc etc

I have built one for just over £1.5K but I am a brewery engineer, did all the wiring etc myself and picked up most of the stuff cheap.

Best bet is to read a lot and look around fleabay etc... and build it yourself but I would still expect you to be hard pushed to do it under 2k. more if you want decent temp control of everything.

UP

A 1 barrel plant is 30 gallons or 136 litres.

If you made a 100 litre mashtun from one of them nordic thingys and put 2 100 litre pots for the copper, you would in theory have a 1 barrel plant. the heating would take some thinking about but could be workable.

I have a 50ltre HLT, 50ltre mashtun and 2, 50litre boilers.

So when doughing in I heat just enough for that and whilst waiting for the mash the HLT is getting back upto heat with the sparge water.

If doing a big batch, I then connect both boilers and run them side by side, using 1 kettle element each ( this is enough to keep a rolling boil) in each boiler. I does not take that long to get from sparge temp to boiling. You just treat both boilers the same when adding hops.

These then drain into seperate FVs. To be honest trying to lug 10 gallons about is tricky so using 2, 5 gallon fvs is a bit easier

robbarwell said:

If you made a 100 litre mashtun from one of them nordic thingys and put 2 100 litre pots for the copper, you would in theory have a 1 barrel plant. the heating would take some thinking about but could be workable.

So when doughing in I heat just enough for that and whilst waiting for the mash the HLT is getting back upto heat with the sparge water.

If doing a big batch, I then connect both boilers and run them side by side, using 1 kettle element each ( this is enough to keep a rolling boil) in each boiler. I does not take that long to get from sparge temp to boiling. You just treat both boilers the same when adding hops.

These then drain into seperate FVs. To be honest trying to lug 10 gallons about is tricky so using 2, 5 gallon fvs is a bit easier

an american barrel might be 136ltrs a brewers barrel = 36 gallons = 288 pints = 163.6 litres

To get a BBL out the door you ideally want a 180Ltr system

UP

unclepumble said:
robbarwell said:

an american barrel might be 136ltrs a brewers barrel = 36 gallons = 288 pints = 163.6 litres

To get a BBL out the door you ideally want a 180Ltr system

UP

I bow to your greater knowledge Uncle. I looked at a conversion jobby on't t'internet

Latest posts

Back