Chuck it in?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wez

Landlord.
Reaction score
I have 2 vials of yeast in the fridge one of which is WLP023, I'm tempted to follow the pack instructions when I brew tomorrow and just chuck it in without making a starter, good or bad idea?

Also would WLP023 work well in a dark 1.062 48IBU beer?

Wez said:
I have 2 vials of yeast in the fridge one of which is WLP023, I'm tempted to follow the pack instructions when I brew tomorrow and just chuck it in without making a starter, good or bad idea?

Also would WLP023 work well in a dark 1.062 48IBU beer?
Bad, Bad Idea :eek:

It will work very well . . . . but not without a starter

Definately a bad idea

o.k.if you've some dried to back it up when it doesn't start working

done it myself when first trying liquid, should have read the instruction first

WLP023 gives an absolutely awful taste if stressed, I speak from bitter (undrinkable) experience. Instead of producing a small amount of yeasty esters that give the brew that Brakspear taste it cranks them all up to 11 and the result is foul!

Don't do it!

Instead of producing a small amount of yeasty esters that give the brew that Brakspear taste it cranks them all up to 11 and the result is foul!

I might have to get a bottle of brakspear to see if I like the taste the yeast imparts before using on a 60ltr batch :hmm:

Vossy1 said:
Instead of producing a small amount of yeasty esters that give the brew that Brakspear taste it cranks them all up to 11 and the result is foul!

I might have to get a bottle of brakspear to see if I like the taste the yeast imparts before using on a 60ltr batch :hmm:

Used correctly it's a lovely yeast that gives a really subtle yet tasty flavour to your beer, don't be put off it because I was a muppet?

Back