1st brew fermentation question.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Strollon15

Reaction score
So, it's 8 days since I started this kit, Coopers English Ale and i've got a couple of questions.

1 : The starting OG was 1.038 and i've just checked the FG and its 1.012 which still seems quite high and only gives a pretty low ABV of 3.4%, the beer is very fizzy, is that a sign that the fermentation hasn't yet finished.
I know i'm suppose to check it a couple of days running and if it's the same it's finished, but is finished beer almost flat and regains its fizz in the bottle thanks to carbonation drops or priming sugar ??

2 : The temperatures...........when I started the room temperature was a pretty constant 20-22 (about 70 in old money) and i've kept it roughly at that all week but the temperature of the beer has slowly decreased, starting at about 24 but is now down at about 17, is that generally what happens, I can't see how its possible to stop the fermenting beer from dropping slowly over a week or more ??

Once again thanks for all the advice.

Stroll.

I'd expect a FG above 1.010 but I'm an all grainer and I believe you can expect below 1.010 for a kit (which generally ferment at a more leisurely pace too). And you are bottling, so don't get impatient or you may manufacture bombs!

Fermentation generates heat, sometimes temperature will rise to over 24 (then you can get worried). But as fermentation progresses to near the end the temperature will drop and this is beneficial to the beer. 17 sounds good to me.

Hi Stroll

First advice - leave the beer for 2 weeks in the FV before you do anything with it. Follow on questions / observations:

Did you just add sugar or malt extract to the kit? Sugar = low finishing SG, well below 1010, I would say.

If the temperatures have decreased during the fermentation period, that is not good news, as diminishing temperatures tend to throw yeasts into inactive or stasis mode.

To get the best results, starting at low temperatures is usually best.

If the temperatures have decreased during the fermentation period, that is not good news, as diminishing temperatures tend to throw yeasts into inactive or stasis mode.
Well, I'm not quite sure about this, given the circumstances. I'd say don't worry too much about your decreasing temperatures. If the room temperature has been a constant 20-22C, then I'd expect the initial fermentation to raise it a degree or two. Then, when the fermentation dies down, you'll sink back to ambient.
What is baffling, though, is that you say that the room temperature has been at 20-22C, and yet the beer has fallen to 17. This doesn't seem possible to me - are you using different thermometers to measure room and beer?

Otherwise: 100% go with Slid - leave it for 2 weeks & don't fiddle. Leaving makes beer better, fiddle/faffing makes beer worse!!

Hi Slid,
Cheers for the reply, i'll do as advised and leave it for a few more days, I did know the 2-2-2 rule but like everyone i'm a little impatient.
I added the Brew Enhancer 1 that came with it.

Hoppyland, cheers as well...........I just think its easier to keep the room air temperature pretty even but the liquid temperature will slowly fall. I'm using a stick on thermometer on the outside of the bucket and a normal thermometer for the air temperature.

One last thing, i'm planning to chuck some hops in to enhance the taste a bit, can I do this while the fermentation is still not quite over or is it best to wait until its totally finished and then dry hop for maybe 4 days before bottling ???

Thanks again, Stroll.

In my experience of doing Coopers kits their yeast usually attenuates reliably to about 72%, so you should expect an FG of about 1.010 - 1.011ish.
You can also estimate your OG and FG using your fermentables and wort volume using this http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/calculator/ where there is an option for Coopers yeast if you look for it; I have found it compares well with what I achieve when I do a Coopers kit.
I usually wait until the fermentation has pretty much stopped before I dry hop and then leave the hops in for 5-6 days. So typically for lower gravity brews I dry hop around day 8 and bottle/PB at day 13 or 14.
As you may be aware dry hopping is usually done very late in the fermentation so that you retain the aroma from the hop oils which would otherwise be stripped out by the fermentation gases if you chuck the hops in earlier.

Latest posts

Back