(Partial Boil Malt Extract) Filtering/sieving wort before pitch & before bottling.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DocTrucker

Reaction score
Afternoon all,

I've just bottled my second partial boil malt extract brew and am doing a little research into small (ie cheap!) changes in equipment to improve the next few brews. The main thing I'd like to get sorted is a tap on the bottom of my boiling pot to make transferring the wort to the fermentor easier. At the moment I'm scooping it out through a colander and into the fermentation vessel. As you can imagine this is a little messy!

What's best for filtering out the hops and lumps created by the protofloc/irish moss? I have a brief look on ebay for funnels with filters but they were only 15cm diameter. Perhaps an all metal sieve (can put it in the oven to sanatise after clean) an large funnel? Any other suggestions? Should I consider scooping out the worse with the sieve before doing any transfer?

I normally transfer out of my primary to a secondary fermentor at least a day before bottling. I'm guessing there isn't a cheap way of filtering at this stage without introducing a significant amount of oxygen?

Finally to get the last few bottles out of the fermentor I'm bottling from I gradually tip the fermentor at an angle. Are there any syphon attachments that would connect to the standard plastic taps that would syphon from lower in the vessel? Drilling a new lower hole would make things a little easier but end up with two holes in my bucket! ;-) I guess the other approach could be a rig to rotate the fermenter and lock at angles, or have another look at the conical bottom fermentors, but guess they are not cheap.

Thanks in advance of any tips. I'll have a route through my books again.

Latest posts

Back