2 can kits v 2 can brew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevic

Reaction score
Having had reasonable success with my single can brews (even the Coopers AIPA i was unsure about seems to now be going ok) i was thinking of moving on and trying a 2 can kit, presuming these are superior in some way.

Are these 2 can kits basically just 2 single cans of the same extract or are there some extra super ingredient in these cans.

The reason i ask this is that i like mild and i have a can of Geordie mild waiting at Tesco's for me to pick up. While it is on offer at £8.75 would i get the same result in doing 2 cans of this and using no sugar or enhancer etc that i would with a 2 can kit or does it not work like that.

Having had reasonable success with my single can brews (even the Coopers AIPA i was unsure about seems to now be going ok) i was thinking of moving on and trying a 2 can kit, presuming these are superior in some way.

Are these 2 can kits basically just 2 single cans of the same extract or are there some extra super ingredient in these cans.

The reason i ask this is that i like mild and i have a can of Geordie mild waiting at Tesco's for me to pick up. While it is on offer at �£8.75 would i get the same result in doing 2 cans of this and using no sugar or enhancer etc that i would with a 2 can kit or does it not work like that.

Doubling up on a 1 can kit would give you increased bitterness because the single can kits are only expecting you to add 1kg or so of sugar.

Hi!
I've read threads in the past about so-called "toucan" brews and the comments by some members suggest that there'll be a doubling of the bitterness. This may not be such an issue with the Mild kit.
Just one suggestion - Holland & Barrett have a penny sale on Potter's Malt Extract, 650g at �£4.85 plus a second one for one penny. Two of these are only 200g short of the 1.5kg you would normally add to a kit - you could "top up" with dextrose - but would be considerably cheaper than a second kit from Tesco.
I've used these H&B malt extracts in several kits without any poor results - in fact the Young's Harvest Mild kit with Potter's turned out to be really tasty.

Yeah,im not sure the kits are that bitter or hoppy anyway, i dont see any issues doing this,im sure Slid does this from time to time,he may steep some grains and brew long to 27litres

I think the main difference is twice the malt and a better yeast (maybe).
I have had very good results with coopers one can kits the Aussie pale ale is one of my favourites. I've had poor results with the simply kits so will not use them again (probably poor quality yeast)
My best brews by far have been the woodfordes kits, but equally as good are coopers kits made up with all malt extract either dried or liquid

A premium two can kit complete with extra hops for dry hopping makes a superior brew then most one can kits IMO (Coopers Original Stout being a notable exception). I've brewed a few from the Festival range, all with with good results. The malt doesn't need to be as concentrated as a one can kit, and the finishing hops bring real freshness and flavour.

I reckon that kits aren't "hoppy", in terms of flavour - but certainly can be quite bitter, depending upon the style, and doubling up on these might not be a good plan.

Thanks for the reply's. My Baldrick type cunning plan may not be quite what i thought. Probably do the mild as it should be and maybe try the St Peters ruby 2 can kit.

Of all beer styles I would have thought a mild would benefit most from extra malt extract over sugar or it will be too dry.

Back