WLP002

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wez

Landlord.
Reaction score
I'm going to have a crack at using liquid yeasts for my next brew :? WLP007 in JP's Hop Monster - while I'm ordering it I thought i'd get a liquid yeast for my bitter recipe (swift bitter) and came across WLP002 - "A classic ESB strain from one of England's largest independent breweries. This yeast is best suited for English style ales including milds, bitters, porters & English style stouts." Sounds like a bit of a one-yeast fits all description, has anyone used it and what are their findings?

Check out Mr Malty's yeast strain chart that'll give you some idea of the yeast characters.

WLP002 looks like it's Fullers so my recommendation would be to keep the fermentation relatively cool otherwise it'll go diacetyl crazy and you'll end up with a butter bomb. Apparently a rest at 15C for a few days clears up excess diacetyl, although some diacetyl is a good thing in Fullers clones.

Cheers

John

It's a nice yeast for lower gravity beers, leaves a good bit of body and sweetness. It does have a real 'Fullers' taste to it, too.

It clumps like nothing else. I posted a video on my blog of it, as soon as the stirring stops it drops out within seconds. So, it's a good yeast if you want polished beer.

Don't be tempted to drink it straight after fermentation though, to me the beer has a slightly bready taste which dissipates after a week or two conditioning.

Also, be sure to make a starter and make sure it is busy before you pitch it.

Good luck!

Nice yeast alright, but its loose it flavor after a few pitches which has been observed for a few of us :hmm:

Latest posts

Back