#38 - Deuchars IPA - 5th February 2011 (with pics)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisG

Reaction score
Not really tried to make a clone version of a beer, so I thought I would give this one a shot.

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
3.64 kg Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM) Grain 95.2 %
0.18 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 4.8 %
17.00 gm Aurora [7.80%] (60 min) Hops 16.1 IBU
11.50 gm Fuggles [6.40%] (60 min) Hops 10.0 IBU
11.70 gm Williamette [5.60%] (15 min) Hops 4.0 IBU
10.10 gm Fuggles [6.40%] (5 min) Hops 1.7 IBU
11.40 gm Goldings, East Kent [4.30%] (5 min) Hops 1.2 IBU
1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
0 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast-Ale

Day went very well and its fermenting just now.

I also tried to use some water treatments, Sodium Met to remove chlorine and Gypsum to increase the alkalinity.

007.JPG

010.JPG

011.JPG

012.JPG

013.JPG

014.JPG

015.JPG

016.JPG

017.JPG

018.JPG

019.JPG

:cheers:

Looks a good brewday and great pictures Chris :clap:

I bet is tastes better than the commercial version (which is in my opinion has gone downhill over the years).

I`ve not had a deuchars IPA before but the recipe looks great, lovely hops :cool: i`ve never fermented a pale ale with nottingham - i usually use us-05, let us know how it turns out :thumb:

lovely colour wort that! I've used notts before with good results. Harder to get good hop aroma with it tho, unless you bung 50g + late of pungent hops. More of a malt aroma based yeast. Does let the sweetness of crystal malts come through lovely tho :thumb:

Dunfie said:
Looks a good brewday and great pictures Chris :clap:

I bet is tastes better than the commercial version (which is in my opinion has gone downhill over the years).

I would agree with that. Had a pint of it on Friday night and didnt think it was up to much. I was actually gonna change the recipe and make it my own, but thought why not give it a try anyway.

Fermenting strongly just now using Nottingham. But i think the temperature is a bit warm in my kitchen at 24 degrees. No matter i'll just leave it in the primary for 2 weeks to clear up the butterscotch flavour ;)

Tried my first pint of this from the keg after only 2 1/2 weeks from brew day.

Water treatment seems to have made a slight difference that the beer seems more balanced and no harsh tastes. I have to admit it is still young but damn its a good beer and could be my best to date. Polyclar didnt do anything to rid my chill haze but big deal

Latest posts

Back