Videne - Is it that easy to use

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aneray

Landlord.
Reaction score
I have read several posts regarding the use of Videne and I am wondering if it is as simple as it sounds.

So you mix 1.25ml per litre of water, stick it in a spray bottle and spray away onto anything that you would normally submerge in a bucket with your usual sterilizing agent. I also assume that a small amount in a beer bottle swilled around prior to filling is enough to make it sterile.

If all this is true, along with not having to rinse anything after contact, where is the cheapest place to buy it. I did ask a chemist the other week and she didn't know what I was talking about.

Cheers Neil

Yes it is that simple, though everrything must be clean first as it does not get under dirt.

You can get it on line for under a fiver I believe, I get mine from the local chemist, it did take a few phone calls to their supplier to find it first though.

Cheers Prolix

I have looked around the web and most places charge around four pound with six for post and packaging :eek: . It looks like a visit to the local chemists will be in order tomorrow.

I can't get it from my local chemists . . . in fact I am not allowed into my local pharmacists any more :oops: . . . . . . .

It has something to do with me replying " I want to do . . .Like . . . . Operations" when they asked me what I wanted it for . . . at least I think that was what it was for :hmm:

It is that simples...as a meerkat would say :lol:
Most chemist can get it, as already said, and it's great stuff.
Naturally it would be prudent to use gloves when using it :whistle: , now the health and safeties covered, enjoy :grin:
In 10 years time filtered water will probably have a disclaimer for lack of nutrients :roll: !

PS, your local farmers suppliers will also sell it as a teat sanitiser, a damn sight cheaper than any chemist, but you may have to buy 5ltrs :thumb:

I add a tiny bit of phosphoric acid to any bulk (5 litre) Videne solution I make up to lower the PH - lasts for ages..

As it's not to far from me when I next need some iodophor I will be getting some Evans Vanodine Fam 30 which is a diary disinfectant, and has a wide range of dilutions and usage rates . . . It's also properly acidified so should always be at ph3.0 or less in use.

As it's not to far from me when I next need some iodophor I will be getting some Evans Vanodine Fam 30 which is a diary disinfectant, and has a wide range of dilutions and usage rates . . . It's also properly acidified so should always be at ph3.0 or less in use.
I seem to remember discussing this some years ago and getting a neutral response :whistle:
I could always take some of your hands :grin:

Love it Aleman :lol:

I nearly pi**ed myself when I read your reply. I can just imagine the look on their faces :rofl: .

Nice one Vossy, a phone call to Cornwall Farmers will be made in the morning :thumb: .

I don't mind buying in bulk, with the amount of brewing I want to do this year it will hopefully last a couple of months ;) .

Aleman said:
I will be getting some Evans Vanodine Fam 30 which is a diary disinfectant
:wha: What sort of filth do you put in your diary?

I don't mind buying in bulk, with the amount of brewing I want to do this year it will hopefully last a couple of months
Keep it in a cool dark place and it'll last for ages, mines only a year out of date, and still working fine :shock: :oops:
Well worth a good look at the other ranges available, some are cleaners/sanitisers all in one, designed for the dairy market, and if you speak to their sales reps they're only happy to help with dosage rates regards soiling.
The milkstone removers are also great for removing beer stone ;)

I have a similar problem with Starsan, after f'ing about with soaking and rinsing with other sanitisers it's hard to believe that you give it a quick squirt and thats it!

I'm definitely going to be a videne convert come my next brew. Can't be @rsed with mucking about mixing up 5 gallons of VWP any more, plus it's expensive!

Aleman said:

If you do get any I'd be happy to take some from you as well.

Just wondering if this would be any good. It is on special offer just up the road from me.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Evans Safe Zone

Pack Size: 5 LTR

Virucidal disinfectant for use in nursing homes & health care establishments for treating hard surfaces & soft furnishings contaminated with potentially infectious soiling. Kills a range of pathogenic microorganisms including the viruses that cause Hepatitis B & HIV and MRSA (Methicillin Resistant Staphylococcus aureus). It has also been proven to kill the growing organism (vegetative cells) of Clostridium difficile under dirty conditions. • Will remove general soiling & disinfect in one operation. • Kills a wide range of bacteria & viruses to help prevent infection. • Safe for use on carpets & all hard surfaces. • Unperfumed, can be used where food is prepared or served. • Passes British European Test Method BS EN 1276-1997. • A Microbiology Report is available upon request.
*BUY 1, GET 1 FREE!* Evans Safe Zone - Virucidal Disinfectant Cleaner 5ltr

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SWMBO has just bought me a bottle of Videne from the chemist, it had to be ordered and cost just over six quid.

Just to make sure this is the right one, the ingredients are as follows

Active Ingredients

Povidone-iodine 10% w/w (1% w/w available iodine)

Other Ingredients

Alkyl Phenol Ether Sulphate (Ammonium Salts)
Glycerin BP
Citric Acid
Anhydrous Sodium Phosphate
Purified Water BP

So, just 1.25ml (quarter of a teaspoon) mixed with a litre of water will kill any nasties it comes into contact with. This has got to be bloody strong stuff.

Latest posts

Back