Videne - Is it that easy to use

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh that's good, “we are aware” but we can't offer any advice because that's out of the scope of our licence.

Absolutely no mention of “we are aware” but you're being very silly and we can't be held responsible for any consequences if you continue to mis-use our product.

“We are aware” but we're not trying to stop you. :clap:

mashman said:
I'm curious to know who first thought of using a topical skin sanitiser for surgical use in the homebrew environment and how they ended up with the dilution rate for us. It is bordering on the homeopathic as was said in a previous reply
As I said earlier in the thread. The idea sprang about because the US Brewers were using BTF iodophor (A dairy no rinse disinfectant) diluted to 12.5ppm free iodine. Unfortunately there didn't appear to be a source for it in the UK, until someone managed to get their hands on something called Betadine (a topical no rinse skin sanitiser) which contained 10,000 ppm free iodine . . .Te get to the effective no rinse dilution 1.25ml made up to 1 litre gives 12.5ppm free iodine. . . . Betadine was dropped by the manufacturer a couple of years ago, and someone found Videne as a acceptable substitute.

It may be a very low dilution but it is an effective sanitiser . . .If you look at something like hypochlorus acid that is effective in even lower dilutions. . . . As is peracetic acid . . . and properly acidified bleach is effective at an amazingly low dilution . . . not surprising really as when in an acidified solution bleach forms hypochlorus acid.. . . . Charley Talley from 5 Star went on about this in a BBR podcast a couple of years ago . . . gave people an effective no rinse sanitiser that was much cheaper than Star San.

Just bought my first bottle of videne today, 6.99 from Tesco. The pharmacy actually had some in stock, which is lucky, as apparently they had previously been sent 2 bottles in error, instead of just 1. Happy days.

Now i can poison myself, mutate, and clean bottles easily like the rest of you.

Can someone confirm how much should be used in a beer bottle to sterilise it? Does each bottle require the same amount of fresh solution, or can the solution from one bottle be poured into the next bottle, then the next etc?

This is going to be a much cheaper way to steralise than using Ritchies something or other!

I just mix up a litre of solution and share that (using a funnel) between a dozen bottles, give them each a good shake and return the solution to the litre bottle.

As I use a 1.5ml to the litre solution I then rinse my bottles. Others use 1.25ml and don't rinse. I hope you've got a small syringe or worked out some way to measure such a tiny volume.

Then I put another dozen bottles in the sink and share the solution out again, then another dozen, then whatever else I need, then that same solution goes around my washed out FV after the bottling session.

Pretty good going when that litre of solution has cost me about 2.5p, there's not much you can get for a tanner nowadays.

Moley said:
As I use a 1.5ml to the litre solution I then rinse my bottles. Others use 1.25ml and don't rinse
It's no rinse at up to 2.5ml/l ;)

Above that it actually becomes a less effective disinfectant for our purposes.

Just ordered mine from Boots. £6.98 for i-don't-know-how-much.

I says, 'got any Videne?' :pray:

He says 'no, but I can order some'

I says 'Great!!' :P

He says 'Scrub, tincture or solutions'

I says 'um...' :oops:

Opted for solution in the end (10%). Is that the right stuff?

I use mine in the same way as Moley. Just keep an eye on the colour. As you use it (diluted solution wise) it will loose colour as it uses up its magical powers. So once it has gone clear mix another batch. Dont assume it is going to be good to do 40 bottles it may only do half that if they have a lot of germs in them. Or that is what I am lead to believe :lol:

If it looses it's colour that quickly . . . you have a problem with the water you are using to make it up. Ideally it needs to be low alkalinity and Chlorine Free.

Excellent boys, thanks. I've been using ritchies something or other sterliser for everything, and you have to use quite a bit to do 40 bottles plus everything else. This videne stuff sounds too good to be true!

Moley said:
I hope you've got a small syringe or worked out some way to measure such a tiny volume.

I can use a half teaspoon measure to make 2 litres worth, guess what half of my half teaspoon looks like, or buy a 1/4 teaspoon measure.
Moley said:
I just mix up a litre of solution and share that (using a funnel) between a dozen bottles, give them each a good shake and return the solution to the litre bottle.

Excellent Moley, thanks for explaining that so explicitly. Do I need to wear gloves when handling the diluted stuff? I assume not, but might as well ask.

Aleman said:

You've probably got better things to do Aleman, but if you get bored at any point over the weekend, i'd be interested in listening to you explain why this is the case.

Wraeccan said:
Dont assume it is going to be good to do 40 bottles it may only do half that if they have a lot of germs in them. Or that is what I am lead to believe :lol:

Thanks Mr Snail, I'll bare that in mind.

shearclass said:
Aleman said:
You've probably got better things to do Aleman, but if you get bored at any point over the weekend, i'd be interested in listening to you explain why this is the case.
Unfortunately I have no idea why :shock: However I have seen the results of tests of 'killing power' for various dilutions and in the brewing environment 12.5 - 25ppm is optimum there is a significant tail off in 'kills' below this, above it it sort of flattens out so more iodine does not equal better killing power.

. . . Of course in a surgical instance it is used neat and against those organisms it is much more effective.

I want to . . . . do . . . . like . . . . . . Operations, . . . . Y . . . know . . . . like

Far from being dangerous ,iodine in the brewing process is probably one of the most beneficial ingredients to ingest.

A lack of iodine in the diet of pregnant mothers is the cause of cretinism and thyroid /hormone imbalance in children born to these women.
Iodised salt and milk have been two main sources of iodine in the past but changes in diet have seen the intake drop and instances of cretinism rise.
When farmers started using iodophors to clean teats there was some milk contamination which proved beneficial ,but with scares about over contamination a lot of farmers have gone over to chlorine and a marked rise in cretinism in new borns has been noted.

So the worries of using iodene products as a contact steriliser seem unfounded really given the pluses.

Latest posts

Back