Very long fermentation time!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sunray11A

Reaction score
Hi, guys!

I started a EDME Superbrew Gold Bitter on the 12th July. The yeast with the pack was out of date, so I used a SafAle yeast. After 17 days in the FV, wort is still fermenting fairly actively, and the SG is at 1002.

Seventeen days seems a heck of a long fermentation period, and I'm wondering if anyone else has had similar experience with this EDME product. Maybe the over-long fermentation is something to do with having used SafAle yeast?

Dis is drivin' me nuts, guys. :cheers:

Get it bottled or kegged, that gravity isn't going to go any lower.

I'm rather surprised by the reading you give, have you checked your hydrometer in water?

Moley, thanks for the reply. The SG has dropped from 1004 to 1002 in 2 days, so it is still fermenting. If I stick it in a barrel now, while it is still fermenting, the barrel could burst. The hydrometer has been checked in water, mate.

I have achevied 1.002, using a single tin lager kit and using a lager Yeast. Took about a fortnight at about 15 degrees.

Not yet tried it as it's been alrgering, hope it's not too dry.

Sunray, I had a Coopers euro lager that took 3 weeks to ferment at 15 - 17 degC and it was still blibbing in the airlock then, I bottled it and it was crystal clear, it took along time to condition compared to other brews but it was crisp and tasted very good

I can't wait for the cooler weather so I can replicate this process :cheers:

Latest posts

Back