STC-1000 Temp controller wiring

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kev

Landlord.
Reaction score
I've only found badly (hand) drawn wiring diagrams online for the STC1000's so I decided to do this........

stc1000.png

Can anyone double-check this? Is it right?

Thanks in advance.

K

That looks right to me. That's how all mine are wired.
Nice neat diagram too.

EDIT, actually on further investigation my ones have the cooling on pins 7 & 8, and the heating on pins 5 & 6

Nice one Kev :thumb: My controller is en route at the moment, this nice clear diagram will help a lot.

Aw, I used the terrible MS Paint-drawn version. It worked a treat. This version is certainly much nicer to look at and more organised. Good job :thumb:

Thanks alot,

Mine arrived a week ago or so. Just need everything else to connect it up too!!

Very quick delivery for mine from HK,( I think I used a link put up by steve a while back ) user name mixtea. Bought last Wednesday and delivered today, 6 days later. :thumb:

I just bought mine on eBay from Hong Kong last night so am looking forward to getting it up and running. Thanks for this guide.

Mr.Everready said:
Very quick delivery for mine from HK,( I think I used a link put up by steve a while back ) user name mixtea. Bought last Wednesday and delivered today, 6 days later. :thumb:

That's the guy I bought from, no issues and arrived in a similar time.

As I already have a spare fridge in the garage it seems daft not to give this a go. A question though....

What do people use as a heat source?...a tube heater seems like the neatest but to reduce up front costs would it work with a heated fermenting tray that I already have?

Should work no problem. Just plug the tray into the heat power socket and it should be fine :)

You will also need to be sure that you have the sensor taped TO your FV and wrap it in bubble wrap or something to keep it as close to the liquid temp in the FV as possible.

StubbsPKS said:
Should work no problem. Just plug the tray into the heat power socket and it should be fine :)

You will also need to be sure that you have the sensor taped TO your FV and wrap it in bubble wrap or something to keep it as close to the liquid temp in the FV as possible.

I've dropped my probe into a glass of water that sits permanently in the fridge.

K

kev said:
StubbsPKS said:

I've dropped my probe into a glass of water that sits permanently in the fridge.

K

The problem with this is that fermenting brews have a higher temp than that water does, so it makes it harder to properly temp control a fermenting cabinet.

If you're making a kegerator, then you're probably fine with that :)

OK so because the tray would heat the FV more than the air in the fridge it makes sense for the sensor to be attached to the FV & insulated (e.g. with bubble wrap.
I would think that the glass of water idea would also cause your fridge & heater to switch on & off a lot more because the temp of a small volume of liquid will change a lot more quickly than that of a large volume in the FV.
I decided to spend the cash in the end and get a 40w pipe heater (found one for about 13 quid on ebay) so that I can keep the heated tray free and ferment more than brew at a time. Already received an enclosure, 2 plug sockets and some 'chocbox' connector strips from Maplin, just waiting for the STC1000 from HK and the heater.

Using the nice clear diagram I have what appears to be a working unit
bd0fb730-869d-403f-9473-6a0d730a5f60.jpg

but the STC1000 I bought from Hong Kong (amazingly quick delivery...5 days from HK) only came with Chinese instructions....could someone please tell me how the little bugger works in terms of what buttons to press?

EDIT: It's ok...found some instructions here and managed to decipher them

Nice drawing Kev.
Am I right in thinking that you used the new Microshaft paint prog. ? I use Inkscape for such jobs and many more, free for Linux and available for window which I think is also free. :D
Need to order one of those controller for a project, just been spurred on. :D
S

Cheers.

I used adobe illustrator. I work with adobe stuff all day so took me 10 mins max to draw.

K

Dave1970 said:
Using the nice clear diagram I have what appears to be a working unit
bd0fb730-869d-403f-9473-6a0d730a5f60.jpg

but the STC1000 I bought from Hong Kong (amazingly quick delivery...5 days from HK) only came with Chinese instructions....could someone please tell me how the little bugger works in terms of what buttons to press?

EDIT: It's ok...found some instructions here and managed to decipher them

Really nice job.

Got any internal pics?

K

Forgive my ignorance here as I am not too familiar with electrical wiring, but I'm still confused about wiring this thing up. I've worked out how to wire in the sensor (the easy part), but...

After I have split the mains in cable into 3 connecter blocks, what exactly do I have to do to connect it to the "cool" part in that diagram? Is there some kind of wiring in the fridge that I have to access?
Also, I am not using a heat source in my fridge - does this matter?

Back