STC-1000 Temp controller wiring

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WelshPaul said:
Forgive my ignorance here as I am not too familiar with electrical wiring, but I'm still confused about wiring this thing up. I've worked out how to wire in the sensor (the easy part), but...

After I have split the mains in cable into 3 connecter blocks, what exactly do I have to do to connect it to the "cool" part in that diagram? Is there some kind of wiring in the fridge that I have to access?
Also, I am not using a heat source in my fridge - does this matter?

You put those three wires to a regular wall socket and mount it on the top of the box. You then plug the fridge into this.

K

http://www.ultimatereef.net/forums/show ... p?t=479021

I found the above guide on another forum but the wiring is completely different. Now I'm even more confused. :wha:

So, assuming that I am not using a heat source, would I simply wire it as below, where the red line represents the enclosure, "MAINS" will be the cable from the 240V wall socket and the "COOL" will be the mains cable out to the fridge?
stc.jpg

Finally, what do I do about the temperature adjuster that is already built into the fridge? CAn that just be ignored?

Just to protect The Homebrew Forum

Paul,

If you are not sure about what you are doing please get someone who is to do it for you!

This is mains voltage we are playing with with all sorts of potentials for disaster, DO NOT play with it unless you are competent to do so

Dave1970 said:

Where did you get that enclosure.. I am having a right pain in the **** trying to get one. I am using snap shut tupperware type stuff at the moment.

That wiring on the reef forum is the same as mine but he's not shown the neutral or earth wiring.

K

Aleman said:

Paul,

If you are not sure about what you are doing please get someone who is to do it for you!

I have no problems in doing the wiring, I'm just as little confused over the way the diagram is set out.
From what I can now make out now, it seems like the "HEAT" and "COOL" are actually 3 pin plug sockets that are fixed into the enclosure and the fridge/heat source are then plugged into these - is that right?

That's what I thought, thanks Darcy. I just need to find a nice enclosure that can be wall mounted now. :thumb:

Thats exactly what I am after. If you find one they linky me.. I havnt got round to it yet.. thus the tupperware!

don't have a Dremmel, I'm sure it would have been easier. I just drilled out the corners of the cutouts and then used a jigsaw. The only problem was that it was getting a bit melted and resealing the cut behind the saw. I ended up giving the cutout a good sharp smack with a hammer to break all the re-joined bits, then just used a file to smooth the edges...underneath those sockets it does look a bit of dog's dinner but it seems to be working OK! :thumb:

I've wired it up as per the instructions on the first image and as per the instructions in the manual (PDF link). Neither of them seem to work: "cool" light comes on but fridge refuses to switch on. Help?

Wiring is as below as there is no heat source and I followed the instructions in the manual most recently:
stc1.jpg

I think you've got it wired up wrong... the controller doesn't pass the current from pins 1&2 to 5&6. 1&2 supply current to the controller. 5&6 are a live in and a live out with a switch. The reason the temp controller is working ok is that 1 to 4 are wired correctly. You need

1. A neutral going from the mains to the neutral on your fridge socket
2. A live going from the mains to number 5 on the controller
3. A live going from number 6 to the live on your fridge socket

DISCLAIMER I'm pretty sure I've got this right but I'm not an electrician, it might be wise to wait until someone confirms what I've said before doing it!!

EDIT: Bugger I got it wrong...7&8 supply the heat, 5&6 are cool...CORRECTED

WelshPaul said:
I've wired it up as per the instructions on the first image and as per the instructions in the manual (PDF link). Neither of them seem to work: "cool" light comes on but fridge refuses to switch on. Help?

Wiring is as below as there is no heat source and I followed the instructions in the manual most recently:
stc1.jpg

Looking at that diagram you need to run another 'brown' wire from junction 1 to junction 7 to provide power to the fridge - look at the first diagram on the first post. Thats the correct wiring diagram - disregard my comment above!

Yes, you need a brown wire joining the brown wire on the mains block to pin 7.

You then need to connect your brown wire from the fridge block to pin 8, it should not be connected to Pin 7.

You then need to join your blue wire from the fridge block to the blue wire on the mains block. The blue wire from the fridge block should not be connected to pin 7 or pin 8.

Updated diagram.

stc1.jpg

Just to echo Alemans comments.

Aleman said:

Paul,

This is mains voltage we are playing with with all sorts of potentials for disaster, DO NOT play with it unless you are competent to do so

WelshPaul said:

stc1.jpg

Paul - that's not what's on the front page.

K

Runwell-Steve said:
Yes, you need a brown wire joining the brown wire on the mains block to pin 7.

You then need to connect your brown wire from the fridge block to pin 8, it should not be connected to Pin 7.

You then need to join your blue wire from the fridge block to the blue wire on the mains block. The blue wire from the fridge block should not be connected to pin 7 or pin 8.

Updated diagram.

stc1.jpg

That's it!

Back