Sloe Wine - Dry

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dizidave

Reaction score
My sloe wine is just about ready to stabilise and clear, i had a cheaky taster last night it was very dry, probably the dryest wine ive made to date.

Now, obviously its young, but i was wonderig if this is a trait of Sloe wine or wether it will mellow out with time.

I think i might stabilise and sweeten, im sure i read somewhere that sloe wine was best a bit sweeter??

Cheers, D

Give any decent wine yeasties the right sort of environment and a balanced diet (some nutrients, a bit of acid and an appropriate temperature) plus a manageable amount of sugar and they should ferment any wine out to dryness, typically around 0.990 give or take a couple of points.

There's no particular reason why sloe should be any different, but at the moment yours will be young and harsh and probably quite big on tannins.

Give it time, the harshness will soften and the tannins will mellow, and it won't actually be any less dry but it won't be so mouth-puckering.

Even so, it sounds like you might want to stabilise it and sweeten it by a few points.

Hi, I have just stabilised my sloe wine and it too seems incredibly dry. However according to my hydrometer its no more dry than any other wine I make with an FV of 990.
I have come to the conclusion that it is simply sour. I am going to sweeten it and see what its like.

I have just added 100g of disolved sugar and about 6 tsp of honey to my sloe wine. Its much better. Still very harsh as its young and needs to clear but a more drinkable than before sweetening.

Latest posts

Back