Bitter yeasts

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vossy1

Landlord.
Reaction score
For those more experienced with liquid yeast.
I intend to make a run of premium bitters, and I would like to know what liquid yeasts you have used, and what you would recommend.

WLP023 seems to be a strong contender, as does WLP026...... to name 2....advice please ;)

I like the Burton Yeast WLP023, and the Essex Yeast (Platinum strain) is very nice . . . Brewlabs High Gravity is also nice in a bitter, but needs something to chew on or it will dry a beer out . . . best way to carry out this is to brew 80L of wort split it 4 ways and pitch 4 different yeasts . . . use the one you prefer ;)

That's another vote for WLP023, it seems very popular.
At the moment I have no way of fermenting 4 fv's under controlled conditions, so I may have to use one yeast at a time for the moment :x

I've used 1098, I prefer 023 . . . actually the so called 'Irish ale' makes a damn nice bitter as well

Another route to consider is to give Brewlab a ring, tell then what you are planning on brewing, and want WRT flavour profile and get them to recommend one for your water type

I like WLP013 for the advertised Oaky character, WLP007 as it's good and dry and WLP023 as it has a real Brakspear flavour.

If you have the capacity then why not do as Aleman suggests and ferment seperate batches with seperate yeast.

Spraymalt........weigh
Water...add
Boil
Sanitise....everything
Chill
Yeast...add
Shake
Yeast starter.....done :lol:

CIMG0174300x400.jpg

I got a surprise when paying for the spraymalt, it's bloody expensive.
I could always freeze a batch of wort and use that in future...but...
wouldn't a sugar solution with yeast vit do the same job as spraymalt ?

Vossy1 said:
wouldn't a sugar solution with yeast vit do the same job as spraymalt ?

Because yeast has a very short lifespan and is pretty prolific reproducing if all you feed them is sucrose then they could quickly "forget" how to metabolise maltose, I wouldn't take the risk.

Cheers J_P, but now you've got me thinking if I can source maltose cheaply :)

I think the easiest/cheapest way is to do a dummy batch AG and freeze the wort, or collect the runnings you won't use from a brew day and freeze/use that.

Vossy1 said:
Cheers J_P, but now you've got me thinking if I can source maltose cheaply :)

I think the easiest/cheapest way is to do a dummy batch AG and freeze the wort, or collect the runnings you won't use from a brew day and freeze/use that.

An extra handful of malt in the mash and an extra couple of litres of water and freeze the additional wort, simple :party: . If your wort is above 1.020 then dilute it with the following formulae

(Volume*Gravity points)/Desired Gravity = Volume of water to dilute with

If your wort is above 1.020 then dilute it with the following formulae

Why would you want to dilute the wort J_P ?
Mr Malty suggest a starter in the range of 1030 - 1040

When making starter wort, make sure you keep the OG around 1.030 to 1.040. You do not want to make a high gravity starter to grow yeast. As a ballpark measurement, use about 6 ounces (by weight) of DME to 2 quarts of water. If you're working in metric, it couldn't be easier. Use a 10 to 1 ratio. Add 1 gram of DME for every 10 ml of final volume. (If you're making a 2 liter of starter add 200 grams of DME to the flask, then fill the flask with water until you have 2 liters total.)

Latest posts

Back