Brew like a Monk - Stan Hieronymos

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Runwell-Steve

Landlord.
Reaction score
I like Hieronymus' style of writing, it's easy to read and follow, and the book flows well.

Brew Like a Monk is a combination of a history of monastic brewing, along with some info about each of the main breweries and the processes they follow. It looks at each of the Trappist breweries in turn, and looks at the other beers being brewed under license and those trying to emulate the style.

It's not a recipe book as such, although some quite vague recipes are included, it's also not a book that teaches you to brew, but if you are trying to brew a Trappist style beer then this book should help you get closer to the style.

I've had this book since it came out but have only just seen this review :roll: I totally agree with R-S, a captivating read, especially the historical aspect, well worth a buy :cool:

It's one of my favorites too and the first Belgian brewing book I bought. I learned a lot about how those beer styles differ from the American ales I was used to brewing. Highly recommend it!

I ordered this book on Friday so looking forward to it, I've read his book on wheat and found it really interesting and useful. If the recipes are written like they are in 'Brewing with wheat' then all the information is given to easily reverse and clone.

Cracking book and as others have said a great read around the history and beer styles - gives you the knowledge to brew the styles, just brewed a Duvel today based on the info from the book ( my third clone of this lovely golden ale) wish it was ready though !!!!

:drink:

Just brought this off ebay. Just a shame that the only Trappist drink I can get around from the Tesco superstore is Chimmay. Could murder a Rochefort 10 right now.

rickthebrew said:
just brewed a Duvel today based on the info from the book ( my third clone of this lovely golden ale) wish it was ready though !!!!

:drink:

I done one roughly based on this too except I used East Kent Golding hops and a very small about of NZ Southern Cross (because that's what I had). Used Danstar Belle Saison yeast fermented at 18-29°C, checked the gravity on sat and the attenuation was 93%!

It's still in the fermenting fridge cleaning up and it's going in to my chest freezer tomorrow for 3 weeks at 0°C then bottle condition as per the book, so that will make it about 25th November for drinking.

Back