Magnum Pear Cider Review

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had this kit as my first attempt and it turned out really good! Was very pleasant after a month in the bottles

Never had any complaints from anyone who drank it!

So can I ask, did anyone try making some sort of t.c from the pear halves in pure pear juice from telco as @ScottM, @Earpworm and @RobWalker mentioned on page 1 of this thread? If so how did it turn out?

Thanks M :drink:

Heisenberg said:
So can I ask, did anyone try making some sort of t.c from the pear halves in pure pear juice from telco as @ScottM, @Earpworm and @RobWalker mentioned on page 1 of this thread? If so how did it turn out?

Thanks M :drink:

I have been thinking about using tinned fruits for HB

but I usually brew 3-5 gallon batches, so I would need to source catering size tins

I put this kit on last night. I purchased the kit before reading the reviews, in all honesty had I read the reviews first I probably wouldn't have bought it.
I made the kit as per instructions but with adding 3 x Welchs White Grape, Pear & Apple (from Asda 3 for £3)

My biggest worry is the reported artificial pear drop taste

I'll keep you updated as to its progress

It's been yonks since I made the pear cider even if it did turn out well.

Things that may help are:

1. Boil the water you are using as this will dirve out the chlorine
2. Add half a campden tablet as this will deal with the chloramines
3. Don't be tempted to wring out the little pear flavour sachet, just tip it in at the end and stir well. This stuff is so concentrated that the few drops that are expected to remain in the sachet will make it overpowering.

(The first two will save any antiseptic/medicinal flavours)

Hope all goes well :cheers:

Thanks CNelsonplumber,

I don't need to treat my water as where I am it's quite tasteless. Your points on the flavouring sachet are valuable as I usually squeeze every drop, so in this case I will apply very liberally.

2 days in the FV it's fermenting with great vigour!!

Just had my first test pint it was really nice well happy subtle pear flavours no downside for me but as I read through here I opted not to use the chemical enhancer would brew again.

I gave mine a taste yesterday and it's really thin, it doesn't have a chemical taste but next time I make a magnum kit I'll make it short.

I added some Belvoir Elderflower cordial to the drink and that makes it really pleasant.

I have just bottled my Magnum Strawberry cider and i was quite sceptical about how it would taste because read lots of reviews about it smelly quite 'eggy' but have a few mouthfuls while syphoning and it tasted quite alright my missus thought so too but said it wasnt very strawberry flavoured.

i think it just may be different bataches and lucky or unlucky, will keep posting in a few weeks to how drinkable it is.

Made my Strawberry Magnum earlier in the year, as per the instructions, then after transferring to another bucket, left it a few days again then transferred it to a pressure barrel. Well its been in there now for a good while, and whilst I was hoping for something like Kopperberg, what I actually have is something thin & tasteless!! Alcohol wise its okay, I'd say a good 6% but it just has no flavour - very disappointed..... :-(

I almost gave up on this brew, I wasn't so keen on it as I had brewed it for the summer. I started the brew at the end of April. It's barrelled and left in the garage, the recent cold snap has really sorted it out, it is clear and tastes great.
8 months to mature is quite some time but at least I'm enjoying it.

Back