John Bull IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stonegrey

Reaction score
Evening all.

I've brewed 3 of these now, and it may no be the pinnacle of brewing, but i' quite like it, i've always had a soft spot for IPA's.

the first one was awesome. 10 days fermenting, 3 weeks conditioning, i had a sneaky glass when bottling up, and one or two every week until i signed up here, and learned to leave it for a month. it was an adsolute cracker, and went down well over Christmas.

Brew 2 was an abomination, i did everything the same (i only use Muntons beerkit enhancer - can anyone recomend something better please). it tasted of TCP from the off. i left it in the kitchen for a week, and had a quick sniff, it still smelled of TCP, so i put it in the garage , and left it there, its been there for almost 8 weeks now. i was going to pour it down the drain last Saturday, but when i opened a bottle..... my word, the TCP taste had gone completely, and i was left with something, that had become extremely drinkable, fragant - like Flowers IPA, with a similar taste.

as soon as i noticed the smell, i started looking on here for causes and remedies, and found a chlorine contamination, or yeast infection, but didn't find any way to rescue the beer.

the next 2 brews i made, i was uber careful with sanitation, and filtered all water. i later found that the that the water mains in our village were being replaced when i had the problem, and they were flushing the lines (possibly with chlorinated water) when they made a new connection.

has anyone else experienced anything similar?

Sorry for the war and peace post, but i had to get that lot off my chest :D .

I mad ethe john bull lager and ipa kits, they were drinkable but i remember them having that homebrew taste, ive become used to it but if you sat it infront of a normal beer drinker they would be like WTF is this?!!

Back