Help with my 200 l boiler build

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stu brew

Reaction score
Hi all I'm at it again this time I'm making a 200l plastic boiler
So far iv cut the top off
569720ae-f5fb-5611.jpg

Put a lid on with handles
569720ae-f637-c642.jpg
569720ae-f646-6537.jpg
and iv fitted a tap and hop flitter
569720ae-f680-c0eb.jpg
569720ae-f6e3-b10e.jpg

Next I plan to fit 3 kettle elements top middle and bottom put steel band around it for serport
And lag it any other ideas that I'm missing ?

i might be wrong but i can't see that hop filter dealing with that volume of wort & hops without blocking.

that and HDPE boiler scare me - i used one briefly and spent all my time thinking "if this split now this is going to be a like bad scene from casualty" make sure you give it as much support as possible

You may be right about the hop filter can you recommend any as for the hdpe it will be fine as its going in to a metal frame

Iv just brought a solar pump and power control as it a bit heavy to lift lol

Love the build, I did the same but with a 60l hdpe barrel. They work perfectly and are very easy to cut and work plus are super cheap :)
Can't give you a hop filter plan I'm afraid I use hop socks in the boil.

Cheers,
Grmski

grmski said:
Love the build, I did the same but with a 60l hdpe barrel. They work perfectly and are very easy to cut and work plus are super cheap :)
Can't give you a hop filter plan I'm afraid I use hop socks in the boil.

Cheers,
Grmski
iv done my last one the same way chap
d4b780de-91f3-cfe0.jpg
I think it works well ;-)

As for a hop filter there are a fair few threads on the subject on here. the easiest way is just the buy a length of braided stainless hose. roll it up like a cumberland sausage and whack it in the bottom.

Personally i use stainless mesh folded into an envelope type arrangement with a tank fitting stuck in it. will take some pics when i get five

mrlard said:
i might be wrong but i can't see that hop filter dealing with that volume of wort & hops without blocking.
Too true, I thought it was his spinning sparger that had fallen in. :whistle:

BB

i dont think kettle elements will be enough to heat up the water in my opinion also you will find kettle elements hard to seal due to a kettle being about 1 or 2mm thick and the barrell being 5 mm thick
next thing to think about is how you will feed the elements
3kw =3,000 watts devide by 240v is 12.5 amps x 3 elements you will be pulling about 37 amps
any house hold curcit will trip at 32a
you need to use a socket for each element as even a double socket only has a max output of 13a (not 13a per side)
you will need a dedicated 40a supply just for the elements covered by a rcd or rcbo plus what ever other little bits you have running

if you get stuck let me know
hope this helps

bobsbeer said:
Why put the elements top. middle and bottom? Heat rises so lower would be better.
thanks for having a look having them top middle is for cleaning and as it heats the water at the top it will pull the water upward so will keep circulating and the top one will only be on till it starts to boil

Latest posts

Back