"Desperado's style" - Cooper's Mexican Cerveza kit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
munkian said:
I'm attempting this one too, my first ever lager.

I used the Wilkos Cerveza kit and 500g of spray malt and 300g dextrose and about 200g brown demerera (ran out of dextrose !)

Its been in the FV for nearly 2 weeks now - going to boil a bottle of posh lime cordial and some Tequila essence with 200g of brewing sugar and add it to a secondary FV before bottling.

I'll let you know how I get on

I have just bottled my first attempt. I used the wilko kit aswell, 1kg of sprey malt and 450g of brewing sugar, fermented, transfered into 2nd fv then added 100g of sugar and 4x 50ml tequila essence bottles. Bottled all up and now sat some where warm for a few weeks.

I decided to leave the lime cordial out of this one as wasnt sure i wanted it so would love to hear how yours tastes with and will let you know how mine is without :)

I only used one bottle of Tequila essence - very potent smelling stuff though !

The lime cordial stank the house out after simmering for an hour but when I'd transfered to secondary FV I had a little taste and it was Ok - as far as slightly warm flat lagers go ;)

I didn't have time to sanitise and bottle it so I'm going to leave it in the secondary FV till Sunday - I'm assumign this will be Ok. I haven't got anywhere very cold to keep it so probably going to keep the bottles covered in my rather cool built in wardrobe.

I am considering buying a large builder's bucket, filling it with water and covering it up in a shady part of my concrete garden- I'll see how it goes.

OMG!!!

just cracked open a bottle to taste and it is not so good :(

the tequila is pretty over powering and makes it hard to drink, really dissapointing.

Im going to leave the rest for a while to see if they clear up and get any better but not looking good so far.

This may be a batch to be thrown as it is almost impossible to drink, next time, less tequila essence

You did use a fair bit more than me :?

I suggest leaving it to chill for aslong as possible - it should mellow out a little.

I wouldnt bin it either - just mix it with lemonade for Shandys when the weather picks up if you hate the taste :cheers:

Also, a slice of lime will help

My son is asking for a desperado drink for the summer...I've got me a AG recipe for Cerveza....I think I'll leave the tequilla and lime to be added in the glass....

Works fine if you get the quantities right, mine doesn't taste overpowering at all - 1lt of lime cordial, 1 btl of Tequila essence :thumb:

You can obviously add or subtract the amount lime and essence to your own prefs

Ive decided to chill it for a while like you said and then see how it goes, will prob try it with lemonade aswell as that may help.

it takes practice and mistakes to work out whats right so I will deff be trying this again once ive tried to drink this attempt.

a couple of tries with different quantities and eventually I may be able to say ive cracked it :)

Thats how I roll, taken lots of practice but I'm slowly getting there :thumb:

Spoke too soon, tried a bottle and it was under carbonated and lacked body. Oh well. I'll leave a few months and see

I am doing it like this too, have coopers cerveza in the FV at the mo, been in 5 days. Then I'm putting it into a PB with 2x tequila essence bottles. I don't like the stuff but have had requests. I'm leaving the lime out as some like it with and other without

2 bottles is the way to go I think.

I've tried another bottle that wasn't in the fridge and it seemed better, probably still carbonating, new to this bottling lark ;)

Mine has gone up into the loft for a while, out of site, out of mind!

Too much Tequila coming through for me at the moment, hoping this will calm down if left for a month or so. will update when i crack a new one.

Think 2 bottles of essence sounds about right, Desperados are supposed to have a hint of tequila but mine has turned into Tequila with a hint of lager :( ooops

In better news by Turbo Cider is going mental after 18 hours and my Diablo has a healthy head of foam

Just to add to this, i saw that better brew have a tequilla beer kit now, might be worth a try.

haha i might give it a go if i can get it from my lhbs but got a load of other beers to do first got 5 kits and loads of grains

It seems that 2 bottles is the way to go, but is that 2 x 50ml bottles? I have seen both 20ml and 50ml bottles.

I am making a 22lt batch, so wanted peoples opinion on how much Teuila essence to add.

Thank you.

Great feedback guys sorry not posted back sooner, been really busy. I've made my Mexican creveza beer, which will be ready to drink in about 4 weeks, I will post an update on the outcome.

Have you guys thought about adding half a bottle of tequila to the second fb and giving it a good mix, then bottling or even adding 5ml to each bottle?
This sounds like a great idea. Anyone tried it? It will boost the ABV too! I have tried adding a capful of tequila and a capful of bottled lime juice to the beer before drinking and it's great, but I'd love to get it added to the whole batch before bottling!

Back