Is this wherry stuck?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewDan

Landlord.
Reaction score
I am not sure if my wherry has a stuck fermentation or not, and am after a bit of advice. After reading through some of the other posts I am leaning towards the 'its another stuck fermentation' route

Started the Wherry on 30/04/12
Added 20 litres ashbeck water
Og around 1.045
Used supplied yeast pitched at 26C

Bubbled for the first 5 days or so, but after that seems to have come to a complete stand still.

Its been sitting at around 20 degrees c the whole time, so I thought today (11/05/12) I would take a reading to see if I am ready to bottle.

Reading is sitting at just above 1.020 which works out at around 3.28% according to the calculators online. I know the wherry you can buy from the brewery is 3.8%, but the homebrew box states 4.5%. To be honest I wasnt really expecting it to hit 4.5% but I would have thought it would have got to around the 3.8% - 4% mark.

Readings aside its very cloudy, but it does smell and taste good.Really I am just wondering if I should bottle this Sunday or if I should try doing something to encourage further fermentation

Any suggestions from anyone?

Cheers :cheers:

Sounds stuck alright. Give it a gentle stir to rouse the yeast but taking care not to splash.

Also, next time, wait til its a bit cooler before pitching your yeast.

Best of luck.

Shall give it a stir sunday, and leave it another week before taking a reading, if its still the same I shall bottle as it tastes good even at this early stage

Cheers :thumb:

Gave it a good stir yesterday , without splashing , 24 hours later, no movement in the airlock... Temps around 18-20.

Any other ideas? Or would it be worth leaving it until the weekend and bottle it? Not had this problem before , it's a shame it's not anywhere near the stated abv on the box, but it does taste very good

Yeah I did have a look through, I am going to bottle this weekend regardless. With any luck though the stir and increased temp may have made a difference. If not , it still tasted good.

Need to free up the fermenter for the next kit, cheers

BrewDan said:
Yeah I did have a look through, I am going to bottle this weekend regardless. With any luck though the stir and increased temp may have made a difference. If not , it still tasted good.

Need to free up the fermenter for the next kit, cheers
How did your beer go? :cheers:

I ended up bottling, it went down a few points after a stir and another week. Actually it was only in the bottle a few days and thought I would try one today...which is unlike me as I normally wait a few months , got to say it's young but I can tell it's going to be very good. Already tastes nice and had a great head on it too.... I'm sold on the two can kits now. May put another order in over the next bank holiday, hoping that the stores will do some specials

Cheers

BrewDan said:
I'm sold on the two can kits now

:thumb: They're so much better, i still do a few 1 can kits but by the time you add on the cost of extra malt instead of sugar they're not much more expensive. Nelsons revenge is an excellent pint i would recommend trying that, i've done it 8 times and never had a problem with it sticking like the wherry
:cheers:

I have been reading a few write ups on the nelsons revenge and it was one I was going to look into actually :thumb: cheers

Shall see what this wherry is like in 4 weeks time

Back