DIY Beer Crates

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had a go at making one of these today.

Lessons include:
Gripfill is not a substitute for appropriate wood glue.
Cedar and pine don't look that cool together.
2" 'finishing'/lost head screws do hardly anything.
Need to build/acquire a workbench.
Out of the two types of standard UK 500ml bottles I only measured the stubby one meanining I can't stack the taller ones. Next time I'll make a taller crate.
I didn't leave a huge amount of space for the divider. Might struggle to fit it in.

I'm quite proud of my handsawn little box. Just need to get some 3mm (or preferably thinner) hardboard for the divider.

I recalculated the design to take standard UK 500ml bottles. Not sure how it would turn out of you follow the original plans.

Yes looks good. :thumb:
Bit slow here, just realised that the design is for 24 bottles, could be any on course.
Not too sure about them interlocking, they would need to be very accurate to dimension and square to avoid problems. ;) (one big next to one small by a gnats and ................. :x )
Bee hives stack without a register, on uneven ground and they can get high and hold a lot of weight, .............with luck. :lol:
S

Found some off cuts of wood in the garage this morning and so quickly knocked up this 12 bottle crate. Still needs its finishing coat of wood stain painted on

beercrate-1.jpg

I see you followed the instructions with the wrong dimensions for the long lengths :D

no it was the only lengths of wood useable in me garage. I priced it up in new wood and it came to a whopping £2.88p........ :eek:

well it is a Yorkshire beer crate...

That's the beauty of currently working on a building site where they put all their off cuts in the skip. Too short for them to use but perfect for crates

piddledribble said:
no it was the only lengths of wood useable in me garage. I priced it up in new wood and it came to a whopping £2.88p........ :eek:

well it is a Yorkshire beer crate...

LOL

My mate works as a joiner/decker so I should be able to get the wood for a decent price. I've designed my crate for 24 wine bottles though (which will take care of the beer bottles and anything else I wish to use the crate for).

3 of those bad boys should do me just fine....... for now :D

Priced the wood up for these in B&Q. Due to the dimensions it works out better to make 2 at a time due to the off cuts..

£43.38 per pair :shock:

I need 4, grand total of £86.76. Not cheap by any means lol.

I'm hoping my mate comes through with some good prices for me :D

On the plus side my design is for 24 bottles up to and including champagne bottle size with headroom for interlocking edges.

ScottM said:
Priced the wood up for these in B&Q. Due to the dimensions it works out better to make 2 at a time due to the off cuts..

On the plus side my design is for 24 bottles up to and including champagne bottle size with headroom for interlocking edges.

F**k me! For a bit of 3x1 and 2x1 pine!!!! What wood are you using -
Walnut?!?!

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

You can make a 12 bottle one like I did from 2 x 6 ft x 4inch x 1 inch timber. ! where are you buying your wood from

Belter said:
ScottM said:

F**k me! For a bit of 3x1 and 2x1 pine!!!! What wood are you using -
Walnut?!?!

That's just for kiln dried timber and a bit of hardboard. It's fecking pricey lol.

2.4m 1x2" is £2.60 per length
1.8m 1x2" is £1.86 per length
2.4m 1x4" is £5.75 per length
1.8m 1x4" is £4.70 per length

To make 2 crates I need 3 lengths of 2.4m 1x2", 2 lengths of the 1.8m 1x2, 2 lengths of the 2.4m 1x4" and 2 lengths of the 1.8m 1x4"

That's £32.42 just for the timber.

A full 3mm sheet of hardboard is enough for 1 crate and costs £5.48.

Total cost for 2 crates = £43.38

piddledribble said:
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

You can make a 12 bottle one like I did from 2 x 6 ft x 4inch x 1 inch timber. ! where are you buying your wood from

Too small for me though, I'm making 24 bottle crates up to champagne bottle size. I'm also putting dividers in :)

That's just priced from B&Q though, I'm hopeful that my mate will come through for me ;)

My mate just got back to me. £7.50 for the wood per crate.

That'll do nicely :D

Latest posts

Back