DIY Beer Crates

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't 100% finished them but I'm using them anyway :D

I got the dividers done today.

Crate filled with empties, with dividers in. The bottles on the left are full size wine bottles, 2 are small champagne size.
IMG_1284.JPG

2nd crate with dividers in, showing what it's like empty.
IMG_1285.JPG

IMG_1286.JPG

3rd crate with what I have left from my bud lime & ginger beer. No divider, shows just how much space there is.
IMG_1287.JPG

30 Bottle Kenridge Kit maturing and 6 bottles of WOW maturing along with my 30 empties.
IMG_1289.JPG

The whole "stash" together.
IMG_1290.JPG

Yesterday I finally got round to making a couple of crates to carry my beer around and store empties, pretty pleased with the results as they feel nice and sturdy.

Each crate holds 20 500ml bottles and they stack nicely on top of each other. I used the slats from an old pine bed to make them with.

crate1.JPG

crate.jpg

Got bit of sanding still to do and need to move the top end bars of the top crate as put it too low for locked stacking.

Length for the wood if anyone would like them to make their own

The slats I used were 65mm x 15mm

8 x 290mm (end sections)
4 x 395mm (Bottom slats)
2 x 425mm (side bars)

You'll need to adjust the lengths if your wood is thicker than 15mm, you're aiming for 290mm x 365mm internal space to fit 20 bottles.

Nice looking crates. :thumb: :thumb:

Still haven't managed to convert my stack of wood into crates yet I need about 30 I think :lol: :lol:

Been looking for the best idea to store my bottles, might end up making a few of these.

Might have to see if my dad has got some spare wood :hmm:

Thinking it might be an idea to make one for my 750ml bottles and another for my 500ml ones.

could you use old pallets, cut up to the required length, that would make the timber free and then you could use a more expensive fixing

Made mine up ages ago but never got round to showing them off. Not the best craftsmanship in the world but they do they job.

DSCN1681.jpg

jonnymorris said:
Made mine up ages ago but never got round to showing them off. Not the best craftsmanship in the world but they do they job.

DSCN1681.jpg
Looks like good workmanship to me, they don't need to look pretty, just do their job well, I think I might try and copy those, how did you make the separators inside?

alawlor66430 said:
...how did you make the separators inside?
Just hardboard cut to size with slots cut half way in on both pieces and then slotted together. I didn't bother with the template for these but did follow the crate design as originally posted by GA. I can dig out the timber dimensions I used if interested?

Aye that would be sound, I've always got wood lying about in the huts so it shouldn't be a problem to knock a few together. Cheers

Ends: 4 off 18x70x320 (horizontal) and 4 off 18x44x280 (vertical)

Sides: 4 off 18x70x552

Base: 5 off 18x44x516

Latest posts

Back