Return of I.P.A

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PD

Landlord.
Reaction score
An item of todays news page.....

A mug of ale please," calls Kanishk Goswami across the solid wood bar-top.

Arsenal and other English-football team logos on the walls add to the atmosphere.

The barman returns with a large glass tankard of brown ale.

Two hundred years since English brewers started shipping strong, extra-hoppy beer to colonialists on the subcontinent, India Pale Ale (IPA) is making a tentative comeback here - in a handful of microbrewery pubs emerging in Gurgaon, the fast-growing business hub on the edge of Delhi.

Its main customers so far are the vanguard of the new thrusting India - people like Mr Goswami, a corporate headhunter who set up his company's London operation and got a taste for British beers while there.

"Honestly, that tastes so good," he smiles after his first gulp of IPA. "It's not 100% but 95% spot on."

Most of the beer drunk in India is lager, with the market dominated by brands like Kingfisher and Cobra.

Great news, I'm touring India in a few months and normally the beers offered whilst on the road are **** poor lager, or nothing. If I can find one of these pubs I'll be happy for a few hours.

we have been to Goa twice and some of the beers were fantastic. I dont rate kingfisher its awful but some of the bottled stuff was great

Latest posts

Back