First time cider

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sonicboombrew

Reaction score
Hi all how are you, new here and need some advice.
This year is my first time brewing cider, and to be honest I have only brew wine twice so very new to it all. I have a problem I think.
This is how it is 4 demijohns of apple juice (pressed myself) numbered 1-4

1, Juice with cider yeast and yeast nutrient, started to bubble/work under 24 hours. no problems.

2, Juice with Champaign yeast and yeast nutrient, Took a little longer but is now working away.

next 2 just messing.

3, Juice, Cider yeast, yeast nutient, 1/2 pound of white sugar, Nothing at all happening, put in warm room still nothing.

4, Juice, Champaign yeast, yeast nutrient, 1 pound of dark brown suger, it's taken a while to start but now is bubbleing away.

3 and 4 I just really added the suger and hoped for the best, I'm sure you cider makers will think I'm crazy just throwing in suger like that.
Any ideas why no 3 won't get going there is no sign of nothing. I'm begining to worry did I add the yeast :oops:

Welcome to the forum SBB :thumb:

I like the idea of experimenting :cool: I'd say it's worth adding another sachet of yeast anyway, as far as I know you can't over do the yeast.

Thanks for your quick replies, I will add another pack of yeast and see what happens. Will let you know.
Thanks again.

Hope it turns out OK, look forward to seeing how you get on :thumb:

In my experience No2 will be very dry , but if you 2ndry ferment in PET Bottles you should end up with a light Dry bubbly, all dependant on the base flavours in your juice of course.

Did you take any Hydro readings on the juice before adding yeast.?

No I didn't take hydro readings :oops: , this is a real hit and miss attempt, with VERY basic equipment. If this turns out O.k then I will invest more time and money on the next batch.

As for the problem demijohn 3, I could not get hold of more yeast as there are no brew shops in my area, I buy online. I did how ever have more yeast nutrient and put about 1/2 level teaspoon in and it has got it going, so at the moment I'm happy.

Thanks all for your help, will keep progress updated here.

Thats good news SBB :cool: look forward to hearing how it turns out :D

Well I could have problems this has happened on all 4. For 5 days they have been bubbling away like mad, but now on the 5 days it gone from very fast to almost no bubbles at all. Does sound right. I expected it to slow down but not this much, so soon.

sonicboombrew said:
Well I could have problems this has happened on all 4. For 5 days they have been bubbling away like mad, but now on the 5 days it gone from very fast to almost no bubbles at all. Does sound right. I expected it to slow down but not this much, so soon.

It's sounds ok to me, if you had a hydrometer you could check but as you haven't got one i'd leave it another 5 days to be sure it's finished, then bottle/keg away ;)

AT's right, my (limited) experience of cider making (from juice) has seen a mental initial fermentation which slows down to a crawl. I'd leave it a few more days :thumb:

My very limited experience of real cider sees a huge fermentation, then it slows to a crawl . . . . . . . . and the following spring sees a further fermentation (Malo lactic) as temperatures rise again.

Leave it a few more months ;)

Pah! It's got alcohol in it now-drink it! :lol: :lol: :lol:

My very limited experience of real cider sees a huge fermentation, then it slows to a crawl . . . . . . . . and the following spring sees a further fermentation

I think you have a drinking problem....you're not drinking enough...the following spring....wtf....get a hold of yourself man :lol: ...pulling tongue emoticon

Latest posts

Back