Ritchies On the Rocks Apple Cider Review

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigDDunc

Reaction score
Ok first things first, I only started this kit yesterday morning (18/11/2012) so it will be a while yet before I can provide any meaningful notes. However for the time being:

More of a word of advice rather than problem with the kit - I noticed this kit was a lot thicker than my previous OTR kit (Mixed berry), although I put this down to the fact it was stored in my shed and must have only been 5 degrees c at the time of opening. So my advice is bring it indoors for a day prior to opening, it'll make it much easier, quicker and cleaner to extract the concentrate.

Other than a standard kit, I added the concentrate, except I replaced 4L of water with Morissons own brand cheap (65p/L) apple juice to give it a bit more of a boost in both flavour and ABV. I brewed it to 23L. I suspect this is just the same as brewing slightly short, but this way I get the full 23L. Kit contained 1 sachet of yeast (and sweetner) and apple flavour sachet to add after primary fermentation has finished.

Updates to come as and when I hit different stages.

We fill the sink with hot water and soak the cans for 10 minutes prior to brewing, makes life hella easy.

Looking forward to your review mate, my friend is just starting cider making and wants to do a good job of it :p

Morning

I have done this kit twice now and both times it has come out beautiful. I brewed short to 21 ltr for my second batch and you can notice the difference in flavours. I would be interested to see how this turns out by adding the extra apple juice, keep us all posted mate.

I have also tried the Rasberry and lime from on the rocks range but was rather disappointed, lacked in flavour apart from a distinct lime after taste which wasnt to my liking.

:cheers:

Pete

Pete H said:
I have also tried the Rasberry and lime from on the rocks range but was rather disappointed, lacked in flavour apart from a distinct lime after taste which wasnt to my liking.

Pete

I wish I didn't just read that last bit as I've currently got one brewing now :sad:

Stevie

Im not a massive lover of fruity flavoured ciders, i like a more traditional apple cider. The only reson i bought this is because it was reduced at home brew online. So it may just be me but its been in the bottles now for over 2 month and i haven't had one for 3-4 weeks so i think i mightcrack one open for the Newcastle match tonight. Cmon the Toon!!!! :D

Pete

I've got this bottled. Will have to leave until after Christmas to see how it is.

This was my first cider kit after many many beer kits and all grain beer making (I am not a cider drinker!). After conditioning in the bottles for 6 weeks I eventually decided to try a bottle - as I was hoping to give these away at Christmas. What I found was a good tasting but very flat cider!. I Used 1 and a half of the Coopers Drops to carbonate but something has gone wrong. Any ideas? - shame as the taste is good

David911 said:
This was my first cider kit after many many beer kits and all grain beer making (I am not a cider drinker!). After conditioning in the bottles for 6 weeks I eventually decided to try a bottle - as I was hoping to give these away at Christmas. What I found was a good tasting but very flat cider!. I Used 1 and a half of the Coopers Drops to carbonate but something has gone wrong. Any ideas? - shame as the taste is good

Did you leave a big enough gap at the top of each bottle?

Incidently i put my OTR apple cider in the fv last night, using 1.1kg dextrose, 200g golden syrup and 1.5l of cranberry juice to add a bit of a tang (hopefully)

Yes I am sure I left plenty - perhaps it was a Brain freeze moment as first time I have had this happen. Hope yours turns out well it sounds great!

Gave the Rasberry and lime another try and this has matured considerably within the last 4 weeks and not a bad pint at all. I conditioned with 2 coopers drops in 1 pint bottles and it is perfect. It has went from a never buy again to a one to add to the stash, may have one now actually :drink:

Gave the Rasberry and lime another try and this has matured considerably within the last 4 weeks and not a bad pint at all. I conditioned with 2 coopers drops in 1 pint bottles and it is perfect. It has went from a never buy again to a one to add to the stash, may have one now actually :drink:

Pete H said:
Stevie

Im not a massive lover of fruity flavoured ciders, i like a more traditional apple cider.

I quite like fruits cinders so fingers crossed!

Pete H said:

How long did you leave it for in the end? I bottled mine yesterday, was hoping it would be ready for xmas/new year, but after that I'm beginning to have doubts! The misses birthday is end of Jan so that wouldn't be too bad.

I will update this post over the next few days, but I bottled this kit around the 4th, just cracked it open 'out of interest' pleased to say, already clear, carbonated and if you like the koppenberg type drinks , you would probably like this.

Not really my sort of drink, made it for 'er indoors' so that she didn't moan too much when I started splashing out on all grain bits. I'm sure she will be happy with it. As said , not my sort of thing as I'm more of an old Rosie , flat cloudy cider type of person , this is clearly artificial, but I'd happily drink it without complaints.

Will get my notes and update later, but from memory I brewed short as I only had 1.3kg brewing sugar, not 1.5, used untreated tap water, and bottle condition with 1tsp standard granulated sugar. Apple flavour is not as strong as I thought it would be when I was adding the flavour pack (smelt like nail varnish) , but as I said over all quite a nice drink

Cheers all. Happy friday!!

Stevie

I would say a good 8 weeks, but definatly give it a go over the xmas. My temps where a little on the high side so this may not have helped either!

Let me know how it turns out mate.

I have just received my christmas stock so i'll be busy over the xmas :D

Pete H said:
Stevie

I would say a good 8 weeks, but definatly give it a go over the xmas. My temps where a little on the high side so this may not have helped either!

Let me know how it turns out

Cheers for that. I've left the bottles by the radiator in my office, all the bottles have expanded slightly from the gas, which I'm guessing is a good sign as I used water bottles (get an endless supply from work). I'm going to leave them somewhere told for a couple of weeks, going to try them over xmas but I'm not expecting much. Hopefully end of Jan they will be better but time will tell.

When I brewed mine, I bought a couple of 25 litre buckets for it, but I didn't have a drill handy for the airlock so the lid wasn't on 100% properly, and I left it in the kitchen instead of my brewing cupboard so it took a bit longer to ferment then the instructions said, as it was cooler in there.

Ill keep you posted on the results though! I'm very very very tempted to order their spiced apple kit.

BigD

I was just wondering how this turned out? Im getting myself one this weekend and was wanting to add the apple juice. How much sugar did you add? Im guessing slightly less than the recommended due to the sugars in the juice?

Pete

Pete H said:
BigD

I was just wondering how this turned out? Im getting myself one this weekend and was wanting to add the apple juice. How much sugar did you add? Im guessing slightly less than the recommended due to the sugars in the juice?

Pete

The extra juice bulks up the cider kit as it can be a little watery. Replacing 4L of water with AJ is ideal, and about right IMO, with regards to the balance. Sugar just gets added in the quantities recommended, I would personally say to use plain old white sugar with a cider, rather than splashing out on brewing sugar (not necessary IMO). It brings the ABV up to between 6 and 6.5% so nothing nuclear :)

I've not made the apple variant myself but I've done the pear kit and the mixed berry kit twice now. My 2nd batch of mixed berry has turned out the berries using this method :)

Pete H said:
BigD

Pete

Hey Pete,

As Scott says, I added the normal amount of sugar, and used plain old white sugar as I have with all my ciders and had no problems. I admit I haven't tried one of these for quite a while, so I'll have a taste early next week and post feedback, I am expecting good things.

Cheers lads, i will do exactly as you both have described

BigD

Im interested in how yours has turned out so keep us all posted mate.

Scott

Ive been thinking of going for the mixed berry kit, how is it and what extra juice did you add?

Pete

I also have done the mixed berry (see the review for it). I think it's nice, but the smell is much stronger/nicer than the taste. To me the taste was pretty weak (the berry part of it that is). I would probably try it again with a juice to try and strengthen that given from the flavour sachet.

Back