commercial malty beer?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StevieDS

Regular.
Reaction score
A work colleague, knowing I'm a brewer, asked me to recommend a good beer for him to try. He said he likes malty sweet beers and so I was at a loss cos im more of a hop head myself. Any recommendations for something that u could get in Tesco or m&s?

Depends how dark and strong he likes them, but Wickwar's Station Porter is a great drop, and my local Tesco include it in their 4 for £6 deal.

Robinson's Old Tom is another belter, but both of these are strong 'uns - Wickwar at about 6.2 and Old Tom at 8.5!

Oh yeah old tom, old peculiar both good calls. I also pointed him towards weissbier cos I think they're generally quite sweet.

Wychwood King Goblin is a nice rich malty brew (6.6% ABV).

For something of more normal strength, Thwaites Nutty Black (3.9% ABV) for the bottled version.

Yeah proper ale is very difficult to get here in wee northern Ireland, I haven't heard of most of those! You mainlanders don't know how lucky you are ;) My local asda has about 5 types of ale, none of which are bottle conditioned.

Back