AG brew - spiced pumpkin ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WelshPaul

Landlord.
Reaction score
In preparation for Halloween I thought I'd do a small batch of the recipe below since I noticed that butternut squash were on offer in my local Asda: I didn't want to wait until October for pumpkins to come into season!

12.5l batch

90 minute mash
2600g Maris Otter
250g Crystal 60
28g Chocolate malt
3.1kg roasted pumpkin flesh

90 minute boil
28g Brambling Cross, 90 mins
10g Cascade, 90 mins
20g Hallertau Mittelfruh, flame-out
1 x Cinnamon Stick
1 tsp vanilla, 10 min
¼ tsp ginger, 10 min
¼ tsp nutmeg, 10 min
¼ tsp allspice, 10 min
5g Irish Moss, 10 min

Safale S04 yeast

First of all, I had to peel, clean and roughly chop the squash before roasting it for roughly 30 minutes.

Grain all weighed out:

...and the spices were also prepared:

I took too long preparing the squash while the mashtun was heating so the pumpkin pieces were added for 60 minutes:

The initial mash is complete and the vorlauf for the sparge begins:

Very hazy picture of the boil!

And the final gravity, finishing on 1050:

Annoyingly, adding 3.1kg of freshly roasted pumpkin flesh to a 67° mash defied the laws of thermodynamics, dropping the mashtun to just under 63°! I had to top up with a couple of litres of boiling water and deduct a small amount from the sparge. Strangely, this left me 1.5 litresshort at the end, even accounting for deadspace in the boiler as I finished with just over 11 litres.
Oh well, I'm still calling this one a success so we'll see how yeast and time treat it.

interesting recipe , i hope you keep us posted on this and if it's a winner , btw have you tried this before ? could be a great party drink .

Yes, I have a feeling that I ought to have added the pumpkin to the beginning of the boil rather than the mash. I thought that adding them early would extract more colour, sugars and flavour but they didn't add as much as I'd like.

Yeah I would have said you want them in the boil, not the mash. Oh well, you will just have to try it again :lol:

I'm sure it will be tasty anyhow :thumb:

Update time!

Beer was transferred into two demi-johns for secondary fermentation. The colour is great although the beer tastes very dry at the moment and the spices aren't coming through yet. It is only a week old though so we shall see what time does to it.

Wow - is it just me or does that look like someone is dangling their dangly bits in that glass??

I tried a sample bottle a couple of weeks ago and it's nicely balanced in terms of malts and spices, although there is not much flavour from the pumpkin in there; I'd add it to the beginning of the boil next time rather than to the mashtun.

mattrickl06 said:
Wow - is it just me or does that look like someone is dangling their dangly bits in that glass??

Now that you mention it... :oops:

Back