The shed brewery

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking good Dan :cool: Sure you've thought of this but, as it's your brewery and storage area, some plastic feet (or other way of stopping wood contact from floor) under the wooden uprights of the shelves would prevent spillages impregnating the wood, preventing swelling, rotting and more importantly mould getting a hold...lesson learnt from my own personal experience :roll:

Vossy1 said:
Looking good Dan :cool: Sure you've thought of this but, as it's your brewery and storage area, some plastic feet (or other way of stopping wood contact from floor) under the wooden uprights of the shelves would prevent spillages impregnating the wood, preventing swelling, rotting and more importantly mould getting a hold...lesson learnt from my own personal experience :roll:
cheers vossy I will be going over the legs with varnish as soon as I get some more, aswell as the timber around the sink which is surprisingly working great. ive got everything plumbed in now and got the hood ducting fitted. I was planning on brewing tonight but only just finished cleaning everything through and getting ready. so all is ready to go tomorrow if im back in time or sunday morning.
just got some reading to do now to make sure I fully understand brewing 3 vessel and also batch sparging. thinking of going with 73'c strike water for the first and see where I end up for the next, and brewmate is saying 83'c for the sparge water to hit 76'c. does this sound about right? the underletting just using water is working fine aswell so will have to see what that's like with grain inside.
cant wait :party:
thanks

Those figures sound similar to mine using a stainless hlt/boiler and thermopot mash tun.

I get around a 7 degree drop (depending on ambient) from inside the HLT to the end of the silicone hose which is around 3 foot long.

You can help your strike temp accuracy by getting a couple of kettle fulls of boiling water into your mash tun for 15 mins with the lid on before the grain. Drain it off before you add the grain.
I put my weighed out grains in front of the fridge/freezer over night as there is a warm draught from the front grille that brings them up to a nice 20degs.

I set my sparge at 83 to get 76 and it was spot on last brew.

The strike temp was the one that caused me grief first time as it came in too low. Taking the 7 degree transfer drop into account meant I hit my last strike within 1 degree :thumb:

Have fun!!! That brewhouse looks stunning :thumb: :D

will give it a go and see how it comes out. the pipework is john guest pipe that's meant to have good thermal properties (if that's the right word) and will put pipe lagging on aswell if need be. as im out tomorrow afternoon I thought about getting the mash in before going then sparging and boil when get back. would a 3-4 hour mash be ok? and how do I go about sparging if left that long. the grain is still in the house so temp of grain will be around 20'-21'. with batch sparging do I still need to check the runnings or should they be ok. thanks

mash is on :party: missed temp by 1.5'c as I forgot to preheat tun first. bit of kettle water has sorted that and sat at 66.7'c. will post in brewday section when finished.

very impresive indeed you should be very proud of your self ... :thumb: .

regards mick... :hat: .

couldn't wait any longer and had to crack a bottle of the old peculiar clone last night. its only been a week in the cold and looking promising. will limit my self to 1 bottle a week for testing.
had a few smalls doughballs when underletting but I think that's down to not stirring until all the water was in and maybe I let it in too fast.

all done, pics up in brewday section. cooker hood worked brilliantly, had the door shut all the time and not one bit of condensation any where or a room full of steam like when brewed in the kitchen.

That's looking awesome! I'm sort of building a similar thing but I still brew on the covered deck outside the doors to the shed. And I still do extract not all grain (one day...)
I'm interested in your waste water management- I see you've got a pipe going from the outside tap to the shed - how are you getting rid of the waste water? - is there a pipe going back to the drain below the outside tap?

water is going out the back of the shed and I hadn't finished the pipe for it so when I brewed at the weekend it ran into all the grass behind the shed but I used most of the water out the chiller for cleaning and watering the garden. when I get round to it it will go in to a soakaway behind the shed. all the grains and hops get put in the bin first so wont be any going down the sink.

Thanks Dan - I thought you might be doing that. I guess you have considered it but the water coming out the chiller will be super hot and might kill any plants it lands on. I always feel so guilty using my immersion chiller and just aiming the out pipe down the drain - perhaps I'll stick it in a spare fermenting bucket or 2 and wait for it to cool down so I don't waste it.

Brew on!

all the first hot water was used for cleaning then when cooler was used on the garden

just bottled the stout ready to do another brew tomorrow, going for thwaites dark mild recipe.
new bottle cleaning and sterilising bucket

home made bottler batch primed with 85g sugar

home made bottle drainer ready to be filled

all done

small update - got the stc through the post this morning so had to get cracking. managed to get a box from me dads that is big enough to have another 2 sockets and another stc for the other fridge all on the 1 unit. only have the fridge hooked up at the minute until I fit the heating side in the fridge.

Back