"Cock Ale"

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tubby_shaw

Regular.
Reaction score
Stop it :nono:
You all have dirty filthy minds, yes you know what you were thinking :lol:

But I have a book that contains this recipe,
DSC00296.jpg

Basically a roast chicken carcass is chopped up and soaked in white wine for a few days and then the wine and carcass are added to a fermenting 1.050 OG beer :grin:
I'm going to adapt the recipe to all grain instead of malt extract and sugar ;)
So on Wednesday I'll be giving it a go, I'll be having a small ready roasted chicken for lunch tomorrow so that the carcass can soak in Wurzels orange wine for a couple of days :shock:
Stay tuned folks :thumb:

I've got a recipe for it too. But I've hidden it so that I'm never tempted to bring it to life. :sick:

Imagine the head retention on that baby.

I assume that this beer is not meant for longish term storage, I'd have thought that some of the oils from the chicken could go rancid.

Don't know, will the 48 to 72 hours soak in white wine break down the oils :wha:
We'll find out though :grin:

I think other people should try it as well. Come on... don't be chicken. I'm sure it won't taste fowl. You should at least make a poultry effort towards it. You'd be bird brained not to...

I'll get my coat.

I'm really pleased that someone's got the balls (not cock) to take the plunge on this type of thing. TS, you have an audience :thumb:

Remember seeing this one in a book in 70s, was tempted to brew it then give some to Emlyn an ale loving veggie mate.

One recipe for this that I saw in an 80's brewing book from Boots basically used a raw chicken that was pulverised to smash all the bones and then deftly thrown in raw.

I am sure this was something that is supposed to have been done when making cider too.

Never dared try it though!

BZ

Sounds lovely :sick:

Good on ya TS. Chicken beer should sort the men out from the boys....

davesiv said:
your not seriously going to make it are you TS? :evil: :eek:
Oh yes I'm making it :twisted:
Let the pictures commence
The donor chicken
DSC00298.jpg

the carcass, yummy
DSC00299.jpg

Soaking in Wurzel
DSC00300.jpg

Back