john bull traditional ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrig

Banned
Reaction score
After 3-4months without any fermentation ticking away in the kitchen i figured it was time i got on with it.... Some good offers on kits also spurned this along!

Multi tasking with a wine kit cooling so i can pitch the yeast.

And again....

I always mix the enhancer / dme with boiling water before the kit goes in.

I also always miss the FV and dribble malt extract down the side and on to the kitchen side :lol:

Yeast re-hydrating

I re-hydrated and pitched the yeast at 22'c. The hydrometer read 1.046, around 4.5-5% will be nice for the odd pint from the pressure barrel.

It was pitched last night and is looking healthy!

I had my first stuck ferment with this but it is now down to 1.014 which I think is about as much as I will get out of it. So for the first time ever I have stuck it in the fridge and should be putting it in a pb tomorrow.

I did this about six months ago. First few bottles (after 4 weeks conditioning) were pretty rank, with a real home brew twang to them. After 3 months though, they suddenly turned a corner and became very good. I've found this with all the other John Bull kits I've done, so don't be afraid to give them time to mature.

I started this one on Friday night, used brewing sugar as per the instructions.
Has anybody played with this one? ME or dry hopping? I was hopeing it would be good to go for a bonfire night party so time is not on my side if it needs 3 months to become passable.

I brewed it with 1.3kg of BKE and brewed it short to 21 litres. That may be while it took longer to come good. Just try it and see. It's quite a bitter ale, so could benefit from dry hopping with something like goldings.

John Bull traditional English. Brewed short to about 19l and pitched at 22 degrees. Og 1052/1054 making it 5.6% to 5.9%. Brewed with 500g medium spay malt and 500g brewing sugar. Taste at brew, rich, sweet malty with a bitter aftertaste. Lovely! Taste test at 16/08/14. Rich red colour with good white creamy head. First one I tried was a small bottle and over carbonated which mixed the sludge with the beer...threw it away. Second is this one. Taste is quite strong at first like a barley wine..with an iron/metallic but also hoppy and malty turning later into a sweetish malty flavour..warming. A nice beer this but not a session beer!

Latest posts

Back