Do I have a stuck ferment? help!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andysbrew

Regular.
Reaction score
I am making 1 gallon of black currant wine, I racked off for first time Sunday off quite a bit of sediment,I therefore had to top up with syrup. About 3/4 pint, I 're fitted bubbl e r and not much action at all, I only started this wine about 1 month ago.

Thanks

I don't know, sorry I'm new to winemaking. I bought a hydrometer not to long back but not used it as yet

Anybody?, I agitated the demi a little bit and it plopped a couple of times,it has since plopped on the odd occasion, not a lot of action since though, I go on a fortnights holiday next week do I just leave it?

Thanks

More information needed here, if you started this about a month ago then fermentation should have finished.

So you racked it, but then topped up with syrup. How did you make that syrup?

Learn to read that hydrometer, we need numbers, but leaving it alone for another month would be fine.

Bottom line - how does it taste?

It's really worth dropping the hydrometer in, if it's near or below 1.000 you're on track.

I was worried about my Damson wine after reading your post. It's been on 10 days and had stopped bubbling, yet a kit wine I put on a week before is still bubbling strong. So I just dropped the hydrometer in a, surprise surpirse, looks like it's pretty much done, below 1.000. In no hurry to move it but amazed that it finished so quick, your might be similar?

Thanks for your helpful replies,I will drop te hydrometer in when I get chance, my syrup was the same strength as original wine, do I need to sterilize the hydrometer?

Thanks

Back