New Forum Member.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

torvil

Reaction score
Hello I'm new to the forum and this is my first post.
I have tried home brewing before, in fact 3 attempts with devastating results on each occasion. Before selling all of my equipment, I convinced myself to register and have another go, hopefully being a pain to you all and badgering the forum for tips and tricks, in the hope that I can make something which tastes better than the poison of my previous attempts.
I'm looking for something simple either cider or a hoppy IPA.
I am hoping to find the simplest of walk through instructions, maybe even reminders.
Any advice would be great.

what equipment are you using and what's your process? we can probably identify your fault if you walk us through how you brew.

what went wrong with the last brews? any off flavours you can explain?

it's usually worth brewing a kit first, you will find reviews in the Beer Kit Reviews section.

Welcome! :cheers:

Thanks for the welcome replies.
Rob, I'm using 3 kegs, 2 Rotakegs and 1Kingkeg, pressurized FVs. I used kits, but I canon remember which ones as it was two years ago. From recollection, the lager was horrid, cloudy and bitter, the other two were tasteless, and the third like malt. I brewed over the winter in a shed with a heat pad and box.
I need to start again, using a good kit. I favour Hoppy IPAs like Bombardier gold, Holden's golden glow, badgers tanglefoot, titanic iceberg etc of about 4-5% ABV.
I have just read through Callum's starter guide which is very comprehensive, if a lot to digest.
I think I need to confirm everything is sterilised, get a well recommended kit, and get to fermentation, before worrying about the later stages.
It would be ace to have a mentor, if anyone's keen.
Kind regards
Tony.

OK I've just gathered my equipment together and this is my inventory;
3 pressurised barrels (1xKing Keg , 2x Rota Keg.) and gas canisters.
1 25 litre FV
1 spatulas
1 spoon
3 ft length of silicone clear tube
1 x Hydrometer
1 mesh bag
1 x Plastic Funnel
1 heat pad
1 wooden insulation box
1 x Corker
Milton tablets
In the main.

So far then I've washed the FV, tube, spoon, spatulas, with warm water, washing up liquid, bleach and rinsed all. I have filled the FV with cold water, placed the tube, spoon, spatulas and funnel in the water and added 3 Milton tablets and a heaped tea spoon of VWP cleaner steriliser. Have I put enough in to make it sterile and sanitised it correctly? Is it possible to over do this by putting in too may tablets?
I'm hoping to buy a kit tomorrow, so I will leave the treated water in over night.
Is it best to drain the water then brew immediately after, or should I let it dry first and risk bacteria forming in the hours of drying?
Sorry if there are too many questions.

I know one Milton tablet in a gallon is recommended so maybe stick another in, you need to keep in mind it only works for 24 hours, i would make sure you cover all surfaces of the FV and whatever you are going to have in contact with your brew 15 minutes before you make it and if its not under 24 hours make some more steriliser up, better safe than sorry.

I only make wine so don't use it, i am sure someone will be along shortly with an answer. :thumb:

torvil said:
Ok cheers for that. I'm going to go for it tomorrow then I think.
Incidentally, how do you clean and sterilize the muzzling bag?

Do you mean the muslin back which if your doing kits I'm guessing your going to be dry hopping? Stick it in the washer then put it in boiling water for 10 minutes should do the trick :thumb:

Ok wort mixed on Friday, and yeast added today, SG of 1038, lid on with no airlock though.
Utility room temp is 18 oC. Hope ready the rack into king Keg on Friday.
Am I getting the hang of it?

Erm, why did you not pitch the yeast straight away?

You will need to leave it in the fv longer than 5 days, despite what the instructions say. 12-14 days will be ideal :thumb:

Joe, the instructions were a little confusing to me. I thought I had to wait for 5 days before adding the yeast, but after reading the help thread and re-visiting the instructions I realized my error,so.....
Aftet 48 hours, of mixing wort, in sealed FV, I sterilized the spoon, gave the mixture a gentle stir, and sprinkled the yeast on top, which seems to dissolve ok.
Have I ruined the mix with the delay?
Also, I go on holiday for 1 week on Saturday, should I attempt to rack into the King Keg, before or leave it till I get back, which means it will be in FV for either 6 days, or 13 days?

It will be fine, it's best to pitch the yeast straight away (subject to your wort being the right temp) to reduce the risk of infection :thumb:

Definitely go for 13 (or 14) days :thumb:

Ok I can say that the temperature in the room fluctuates from 16-18 oC. Three days on, should I have a peep, or take a gravity reading before going away on sat or just leave it the full 14 days.
Sorry for hounding.

Took a gravity reading of 1014 on 02/11/13, 15 days after brewing, then racked into a pressurized barrel, adding 100g of sugar, mixed with a drop of boiling water, before adding the beer. Placed on a heat pad as the utility room was only about 15oC. Took a same today, with a gravity reading of 1016, and she tastes like a pale ale...lovely, albeit cloudy as expected.
I will give it another couple of days on the heat pad to be sure, then move it into the cold.
Am I on the correct track now?

Back