"Heavy duty" two lever cappers

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winelight

Mild man
Reaction score
Does anyone have experience of the hand cappers labelled as "heavy duty":

Ballihoo version
Bigger Jugs version

The reason I ask is that I see a lot of complaints here about bench cappers; and all my bottles are different sizes; and with a working hand capper I can go faster than a bench capper anyway.

But, my cheap Wilko capper is now a poor shadow of its former self (who imagined it would wear out in only a few months? maybe I should take it back) so I am looking at alternatives.

I am temped by the Ballihoo one, partly because of course they are a forum sponsor.

What's the complaint about bench cappers? I started with one like the second link you had and used it until I cut the top off a bottle! At that point I switched to a bench capper and I would never go back.

The only complaint I could have is related to its size. I use 2 lever capper because of very limited storage space. ;)

But none of these 2 linked looks good.

phettebs said:
What's the complaint about bench cappers?

I've heard people say they are difficult to adjust; someone broke the adjusting thing before he'd even got the height right; you have to put the bottle in twice at 90 degree angles to be sure the cap goes on tight; the bottle gets stuck in the crimping cup and you have to yank it out; you have to re-adjust it for bottles of different heights. That's what I can remember for now, anyway.

I prefer a bench capper though I can see where you're coming from regards different sized bottles, and my Wilko twin only lasted a few moths too :roll: The 2 you've linked look very sturdy, me I'd like the back up of a known HB supplier :thumb:

I've heard people say they are difficult to adjust;
It's a spring loaded pin on the bench cappers, the pin goes into different holes drilled in the upright, pretty hard to break IMO.
you have to put the bottle in twice at 90 degree angles to be sure the cap goes on tight;
I've never had to do that, but I've not used all types of bottles either.
the bottle gets stuck in the crimping cup and you have to yank it out
They can do but tilting the bottle usually gets them off easily.
you have to re-adjust it for bottles of different heights.
Correct.

I woudn't be without my bench capper. I remember banging away with the one you hit with a hammer, praying if the bottle broke it wouldn't cut your wrists :eek:
Regarding centering... If you put the base in the middle of the pad the top MUST be right.
Regarding height... I arrange my bottles by size BEFORE I start, saves time.
Regarding sticking.. rub lightly round the crimping cup with a candle.
To adjust. Hold the knob in and drop it on the bottle.

I guess I'm fortunate then because I have had zero problems with my bench capper and I've had it for about 5 years now.

winelight said:
phettebs said:
What's the complaint about bench cappers?

you have to put the bottle in twice at 90 degree angles to be sure the cap goes on tight;

I said that, and it's not /necessary/, I'm just paranoid. I love my bench capper!
I hated my two-lever one, preferred the old hammer-on type to it.

And surely you save up bottles, store them by type, and select all one type for a bottling run, so they're all the same height?

I would go for a bench capper every time now, once you get one you wonder why did I never get one of these before. I used to struggle capping 100+ bottles with a twin handle capper now i can shave at least an hour of bottling.

Seriously by a bench capper. :thumb: :thumb:

Thanks for all the advice... I would like to make myself a bench capper and will do some day when they have the crimping cups back in stock.

But for now I've ordered the Homebrew Company big brown hand capper; Emily also looks good, thanks for that suggestion, but I already ordered the other one - it looks like it has some kind of protection to the bottle neck so shouldn't do that slicing the necks off trick.

The neck slice thing is mostly down to type of bottle. Stay away from Wychwood, for example.

I can't even get a grip on a Wychwood with the Emily. I did neatly take the top off a Fullers I think...

I always found with the two leaver capper was the amount of pull you had to use and no getting an even pull. Bloody hard work....

Don't get that with a bench capper plus you can do wychwood easily not all two levers can grip the wychwood necks.

Back